ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Recall

Hi,

Went to my local dealer to get new headlight washers, as both have fallen out.

When they put my reg into the computer they told me my car has an urgent recall on it. They have to change all 5 tyres from michellins to contis.

This is the frist time they have heard of this problem. Anybody else had their tyres changed? Anybody know the reason why?

Clio v6

Did they say why?

Did they guarantee not to scratch your wheels when changing them?

Remember to check you still have a lock nut key afterwards !

nope they dont know why they have to change the tyres, but I will get 5 new tyes after 5,500 miles..not bad

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by jigme on 17 November 2003

When they put my reg into the computer they told me my car has an urgent recall on it. They have to change all 5 tyres from michellins to contis.
This is the frist time they have heard of this problem. Anybody else had their tyres changed? Anybody know the reason why?
Why??

So that the mechanics can do a bit of sliding on roundabouts, of course!! The Contis are very slidy and the Michelins too grippy for them!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-004.gif

320d M Sport

hmm, contis are standard on 172s at the mo, they shouldnt be rolling out of the factory with Michelins anyway?! New 182s have Michelins though.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I hate to be stupid about this but unless theres a faulty batch then this is highly unlikely to affect all 172/cups.

Why on earth would renault recall tyres? surely this is the tyre companys job.

Must be a dodgy batch on a few cars.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I remember Paul172 telling me that 172/cups had been coming over fitted with michelin tyres for a while now. Think there may be a post about it somewhere.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 18 November 2003

hmm, contis are standard on 172s at the mo, they shouldnt be rolling out of the factory with Michelins anyway?! New 182s have Michelins though.
Hope there not like the ones fitted on the M3 CSL cos they all ended up off the track they were that bad

Regards,ian

19 16V

Contis are terrible, I have them on the front of my 19 and they have a good 5-7 mm tread if not more and they wheel spin like mad... bloody awful tyre choice

Hi All,

Getting 5 new contis fitted on Monday. Must be the only free thing from Renault.:)

Not sure if they are better than the mitchellins though!

Dont know if this is still relevant or not, but I got the same phone call from my dealer after reqesting touchup paint, I was told that my 172 needed to be booked in for michellin/conti swap.

My 172 came with Contis but I ditched them after 7000 miles for Proxes. Fronts had worn down really quickly and grip was v poor. Proxes not my favourite tyre but cheap at the time!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

did one of these recalls for the first time the other day.recall doesnt say whats supposed to be wrong with the michelin tyres though.i dont like the continental tyres they wear out far to quickly and they dont have much grip.

Mine recalled for same thing a few weeks back. Contis seem better than Michs and torque steer reduced, but still poor in damp conditions.

which are the best tyres to get for the 172/cup then...what is that site to order them from ? mi tyres or something..cheers everyone:D