ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 standard exhaust, really noisy, why?

Ph2 - 172
Hi all,

I've recently got back into a Renault after quite a long absence! but being a valver lover, have tended to stay away from the 1*2's.

Anyway, I now have a 172 ph2 as my DD and the exhaust although being standard it rather loud. It had an after market exhaust on previously, but the last owner changed it back to standard as he found it annoying, but I can't imagine how that sounded if mine is this loud!

I have had a look under the car and its fully catted, has 2 small resonators and a back box (I think, it was Christmas when I looked!), this was all fitted about 4 months ago so its not like its old and damaged.

On motorways around the 70-80mph mark it really drones and around town people hear me coming and it will set car alarms off in car parks when starting the car and/or driving sensibly through it; I thought I'd left those days behind and surely a standard 172 exhaust isn't or shouldn't be that loud? Its hard to talk to the person sat next me when above 50-60mph.

If any peeps with standards exhausts could give an indication as to how loud the exhausts on their 172's are that would be fantastic, or some advice from anybody who has had a similar occurrence?

Unfortunately I haven't driven a standard RS for years so can't compare myself :(, although i'm slowly thinking about going to my local dealer so I can.

My only thought might be that its a cheaper alternative and not a genuine Renault one, hence cheaply made which results in a noisy exhaust; Am going to check under the car the weekend to see if it has any stamps on it to indicate manufacturer.

Cheers
Kev

DMS

A thirsty 172
You sure it's not a K-Tec / Yozza stealth? That would explain the extra noise and would look pretty standard to the untrained eye.
Also, has the sound deadening tar been removed from the car at all?

Ph2 - 172
You sure it's not a K-Tec / Yozza stealth? That would explain the extra noise and would look pretty standard to the untrained eye.
Also, has the sound deadening tar been removed from the car at all?

I haven't had a look for sound deadening or lack off, but I will do now!

I'm sure the previous owner said he returned the exhaust back to standard. It didn't look anything special either from the quick look I had, might poke my head under at lunch to double check my facts! He actually works at Renault so I would be surprised if it wasn’t genuine, as I’m sure he got good discount.

Thanks for the reply, will update asap.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Possibly a leak somewhere? Stick your hand over the end see if its blowing anywhere. The standard 172 exhaust is pretty much silent

Ph2 - 172
Well, I can confirm that the exhaust does indeed have 2 resonators as first thought but they aren't standard; after finally coming across a thread with a standard 172 exhaust, the 2 are very different.

Looks like I have a standard (albeit cheap) back box mated to an after market centre section as the 2 centre boxes are of no significant size to actually provide any silencing.

Now the search begins for a standard system, a proper one this time

Thanks for the replies guys.

DMS

A thirsty 172
You'll struggle to find a bog standard 172 exhaust. They cost a fortune from Renault and they fall to bits after being on the car for a week. You can spend about half as much on a good stainless aftermarket system that's much better quality. Therefore, nobody with sense buys them.
You might be best going to someone like Prospeed. I bet they could make you a standard looking and sounding stainless exhaust for about half the price Renault would charge, and the quality would be better too.

Ph2 - 172
You'll struggle to find a bog standard 172 exhaust. They cost a fortune from Renault and they fall to bits after being on the car for a week. You can spend about half as much on a good stainless aftermarket system that's much better quality. Therefore, nobody with sense buys them.
You might be best going to someone like Prospeed. I bet they could make you a standard looking and sounding stainless exhaust for about half the price Renault would charge, and the quality would be better too.

I wouldn't even contemplate buying new from Renault, but hoping to find a half decent second hand one; although from posts I’ve seen here the quality isn't that great, so as you say chances are slim!

Its more the noise or lack of that I’m after, which is why I haven't looked into after market or stainless options, as I say, a bit out of touch with Frenchy stuff, but just assuming after market usually leads to noise increases!

Might have to extend my search and see what stainless, but quiet-ish options are available, needs to be stealth though, no huge 4" tip this time. Prospeed will be getting a mail shortly I feel

Thanks again for the reply