ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 super unleaded

Anyone know the spec of a 172 on an 03 plate?

is standard model with leather/alcantara, single cd, 5 spokes etc.

will it have cruise? rain sensitive wipers? auto lights?

how important is it to run these beasts on super unleaded?

ps try directline for insurance - 23 ncb 5yrs £609 comp. found another for 571, low-med risk parked on road 15k miles per annum. any bloke my age found it cheaper? let me know

Insurance quote is good to be homest mate.

Super Unleaded - This down to personal preferance. The cars ECU will detect the RON of the fuel and adjust automatically. I have always run mine on Super Unleaded. Car has done 50k miles and is running like a dream.

Cruise contol, Sun roof, Sat Nav are all options. Everything else is standard.

Hope that helps

Ad

MK2 FRS

03 will have cruise control as standard. Quote is good. Am 22yrs old. 3NCBs and low risk area. 10k a year 1250 a year!!

Put sainsburrys super unleadeded. Its BP ultamate anyway but cheaper. Very good quote. Is that with any bumps/claims by either party? If you insure it with direct line, you will not be able to modify it, not even the alloys until you are 25. Try Tesco - its direct line anyway but its strange how the quote cost changes! Im looking to go 2.0 16v but I am gonna wait and see what the new clio is like. Went to see the Modus but that is about as good as the pictures of it but I suppose its practicle.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 13 September 2004

03 will have cruise control as standard. Quote is good. Am 22yrs old. 3NCBs and low risk area. 10k a year 1250 a year!!
NOT true, i looked a a couple on 03 & 53 plates and no cruise ;)

Stealth Bomber R26

Cruise wasnt fitted as standard until oct/nov 2003 (which was why car was delayed for a month!!!!!!)

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 13 September 2004

Put sainsburrys super unleadeded. Its BP ultamate anyway but cheaper. Very good quote.
Is this true??? Anyone know for sure??

thanks people, may try sainsburys super as its excellent value, otherwise i think ill stick to optimax as suggested.

i thought quote was good, tescos were 900.

shame about the cruise control! does anyone know if renault can retro fit it?

Quote: Originally posted by redmini on 13 September 2004

thanks people, may try sainsburys super as its excellent value, otherwise i think ill stick to optimax as suggested.
shame about the cruise control! does anyone know if renault can retro fit it?
Id stick with any cheap fuel realy the engines dont seem to have problem with 95 octane unless it knock you wont loose power. The engiens not highly tuned after all.

You cannot add cruise afterwards easily it could be done but how much you willing to pay for it?

If it were 2-3 ton itd be a sound investment, would help keep my speed below 80 on the motorway!

should imagine it would cost far more than that if they could do it though.

Id stick with any cheap fuel realy the engines dont seem to have problem with 95 octane unless it knock you wont loose power. The engiens not highly tuned after all.
Well the engine may not have any problem with 95 RON, however it will run better and provide greater performance when run on 97 RON and 98 RON as that is what the engine has been designed to use. I dont mind paying 3-5p a litre more (all of £2 more for 40 litres) when I get the extra performance....and before you ask NO its not psychological.

As for the comment about highly tuned, no I suppose 85bhp/litre (172) isnt really that good for a normally aspired car! Lol.
Or 89.6bhp/litre for the 182!

I always use Esso super as i find the car more responsive, even more than when i use Optimax, would try Sainsburys super but dont know where to get it round about Edinburgh.

My insurance is with Directline im 23 with 3 years NCB and do 12k a year, my premium is £600, but ive got my mortgage and home insurance with them too.

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_G on 13 September 2004

Well the engine may not have any problem with 95 RON, however it will run better and provide greater performance when run on 97 RON and 98 RON as that is what the engine has been designed to use. I dont mind paying 3-5p a litre more (all of £2 more for 40 litres) when I get the extra performance....and before you ask NO its not psychological.

As for the comment about highly tuned, no I suppose 85bhp/litre (172) isnt really that good for a normally aspired car! Lol.
I have to agree its good but nothing amazing. Honda get over 230 from a 2.0. Also you can top 200hp on the stock engine without huge mods and keeping the same rev limiter etc and you should be able to get 200hp with 95 Ron fuel.

The performance is very likly to be mental. Higher RON fuel doesnt mean more power infact if the engine isnt designed to take advantage it will infact make less power. The car is mapped for 98 RON knock fuel but if 95 etc doesnt knock then youll get the same power.

But 98 RON fuels usually have other engine / injector stuff in them which keep the engine more efficient although gains are questionable