ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 suspension set ups

Looking for opinions on set ups for a 172;
Im not looking for track use so doesnt have to be 1k plus LEDA'S.
Just something low, good quality and improved handling over standard, i dont fling my car round corners so just something that has less role etc.
Options;
1-New coilovers that k-tec have started selling, made by KW and are called Weitec. They are around 500 notes.
2-GAZ/KTR coilover setup.
3-Then there is the FK set up.
or;
4- Any combination of the following, Apex 40mm springs from gdi, eibach sport lines, koni dampers from k tec or the eiback dampers from gdi
Opinions please...
As I said, i am not looking for the best of the best, just something that wont break, look good and improved handling.
Cheers

audi a6 3.0tdi
eibach sportlines on standard dampers is a cheapr way of improving handling. you could try the eibachs with koni sport dampers yozzasport reccomend it and so does performace french mag. that setup would prob cost about £500

the eibach dampers not worth the money? or are the koni's better?
sportlines a lot better than the apex springs? just fancied a bit more of a drop.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had apex springs with standard dampers on my 172 - it sat low but it was near on impossible to drive fast on a back road, it pitched all the time and bottomed out, was like riding a pogo stick. Ive swapped to eibach pro kit springs now still with standard struts (although replaced the rears with gaz adjustables as they were knackered) and it now feels much firmer and controlled, is great on back roads! :)

clio 172 FF
nick

what u mean by pitched, when u say bottomed out do u mean the car or ur dampers, cus my 172's on apex 40mm and i think it does that, and was considering going over to eibech's so just wondered what ya ment

Suzuki Swift Sport
nick

what u mean by pitched, when u say bottomed out do u mean the car or ur dampers, cus my 172's on apex 40mm and i think it does that, and was considering going over to eibech's so just wondered what ya ment

I mean it used to bounce a lot, like the front end "bobbed" about, it completely stopped it doing this with the eibachs. Also when i say bottom out i dont mean it scraped the road, it just felt like it was reaching the end of travel on the dampers! Was fine driving about on smooth roads, but I found it almost dangerous pushing on over bumpy back roads, whereas now it remains controlled and is much more forgiving! Just it doesnt sit as high!

Pic here... http://www.n3bcars.co.uk/images/cliorims1.jpg

Suzuki Swift Sport
ps I think it sits lower now the springs have settled, that pic was just after they were fitted!

Clio MK 4
I had apex springs with standard dampers on my 172 - it sat low but it was near on impossible to drive fast on a back road, it pitched all the time and bottomed out, was like riding a pogo stick. Ive swapped to eibach pro kit springs now still with standard struts (although replaced the rears with gaz adjustables as they were knackered) and it now feels much firmer and controlled, is great on back roads! :)

I had that same thing when had fk collies on my corsa. Couldnt go quick on country roads as it felt like my car was breaking lol

ST
how much and how long do u reckon the springs take to settle?

1000 miles or so i'd say..

My old 182 on eibach sportlines:

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

Picture023-1.jpg

Last edited:
  clio 172 FF
that top pics quality!!

is that fully settled in those pics?

eventually how much did it lower ur car do u reckon?

its looks a lil higher in sum of those pics than others

if it's not going to be used on track then seriously dont bother at all with coilovers as they are a waste of time and s**t on the road unless you pay big bucks.

Just get uprated shocks and springs that lower it a little as with coilovers you need to spend a good few hundred having them setup

clio 172 FF
lol i think it might be sportlines for me, cant really make my mind up though, i want it low like 40mm same as my apex but just dont want a crashy/uncomfy ride

so not sure :S

williams 2
yeah i had apex but then grew out of nappy's and got some better stuff. i run my gf's cup on sportlines and they are far better!

Monblue bombay badboy!
i had apex on my old quick, i wanted the low look but learnt my lesson handled crap and i ended up crashing the odblue i cant blame the springs but couldnt of helped. For the sake of an extra 10mm i wouldnt bother im going for sportlines this time all the way then eventually some knoi dampers:)

Civic Type-R
I have sportlines with new shocks and top-mounts. Very pleased with the setup, handles great and similar ride to standard.

Renault Sport clio 1
Anyone tried apex springs and koni adjustable shocks?

I'm running apex 40mm springs on standard shocks with 17" turini's. The set up is great for track and smooth roads but i'm getting fed up with the constant dodging of pot holes?

Also anyone had the need to get camber adjustable bolts?

ValverInBits
Sport models only: if you think the car is too high get eibach sportlines and if you think it's the right height but not stiff enough get prolines.

simple, effective advice.

Renault Sport clio 1
I had Eibach pro's and then got 17" turini's so the car was sitting quite high so got apex and not lowered the car but improve the handling on track and smooth roads!

I was wondering if koni adjustable shocks and Apex springs were a good set up?

340i
Ive recently swapped my Apex springs for Eibach pro's.... I dont know what i was thinking putting those Apex springs on :nono:

Looked great but handled shite, always felt like i couldnt push the car at all! forever "bouncing" around!