ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Track Upgrades

E46 320CD
Done my first trackday at Bedford yesterday, was an excellent day and will be doing more without question, before i do though i need to sort the car out.

Brakes = fail. Currently using Mintex m1144, OE discs and lines, Didn't really fade but just not sharp. My mates was in his 350z with Brembo brakes, OE discs and DS2500 pads and they were out of this world. Can i get near this sort of braking, if so how? If i need to upgrade calipers and discs then so be it. (i like the look of the jamsport kit, but i won't go to them for them, does anybody else supply these?) FRED...???

My last gripe was with the handling, wasn't bad but theres certainly room for improvement, i was getting lots of understeer i noticed. What can i do to improve things?

Appreciate any advise please.

182 Cup
Bembo disks, DS2500 pads and a whiteline rear adjustable anti roll bar. Cheapest way to get what you want in my opinion.

Oh, and if you want silly good trackday brakes - PF97 pads, but they have a reputation for nasty brake dust.

Last edited:
  B/G 182 + PH1 Track
As said, Brembo discs, Ferado 2500 pads, braided lines will sort your braking.

SQ5
Brembo Discs, DS2500 pads and some braided hoses will give you an awesome setup, you don't even need the hoses TBH.

What sort of suspension are you running? It maybe be that its not setup correctly, maybe two hard on the front causing you understeer?

E46 320CD
Brembo Discs, DS2500 pads and some braided hoses will give you an awesome setup, you don't even need the hoses TBH.

What sort of suspension are you running? It maybe be that its not setup correctly, maybe two hard on the front causing you understeer?

Suspension is the standard cup setup, one good thing though is i found it very predictable on the track which was good been a newbie! But i wouldn't mind upgrading it.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Like others have said.

Ferodo DS2500 pads Brembo HC discs and goodridge lines, or some 4 pots.

As for suspension, i'd go for some coilovers.

Lionel Richie
i'll take you out in your car sometime, we'll see what needs upgrading ;)

(the organic bit behind the wheel can cause issues ;))

E46 320CD
i'll take you out in your car sometime, we'll see what needs upgrading ;)

(the organic bit behind the wheel can cause issues ;))

Please do, on another note mate - price for brembo hc's, DS2500 Pads, Lines and fluid fitted please? Not urgent but wouldn't getting them done in the next few weeks if possible.

E46 320CD
yeah cool, those rear shocks you've got won't be helping matters

What do you suggest? Is it worth looking at new suspension all round? Coilovers maybe? Before i concentrate on making it quicker i want to sort the handling and brakes first.

172 Cup SOLD
What do you suggest? Is it worth looking at new suspension all round? Coilovers maybe? Before i concentrate on making it quicker i want to sort the handling and brakes first.

Chassis setup will make you quicker than anything else £ for £ kind of way.

Lionel Richie
yes i agree, but not forgetting THE most important thing

driving skill - tuition, that should come top of the list before any "mods"

If your not worried about killing your discs go for a set of PFC 97's I run them on my Jamsport 4 pots and apart from the dust there amazing.

Go for brake ducts, braided hoses and better fluid with Brembo HC discs and then start off with the DS2500's as there pretty good to start with.

JMS do a staged brake upgrade kit which is excellent value for money.

http://www.jmstuning.co.uk/

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If your not worried about killing your discs go for a set of PFC 97's I run them on my Jamsport 4 pots and apart from the dust there amazing.

Go for brake ducts, braided hoses and better fluid with Brembo HC discs and then start off with the DS2500's as there pretty good to start with.

JMS do a staged brake upgrade kit which is excellent value for money.

http://www.jmstuning.co.uk/

How much quicker do the PFC 97s wear the discs then Matt?

TrackCar & F30 330d
I cant belive nobody has mentioned Carbone Lorraine Pads.
I run brembo Max discs, goodridge braided hoese, Carbone Lorraine pads (RC5), Castrol 4.1 fluid.
Its a great combination but i think i might have to upgrade the fluid :) for 5.1

I cant belive nobody has mentioned Carbone Lorraine Pads.
I run brembo Max discs, goodridge braided hoese, Carbone Lorraine pads (RC5), Castrol 4.1 fluid.
Its a great combination but i think i might have to upgrade the fluid :) for 5.1

I did think about them but my mate had some and the made so much noise I couldn't cope.

Halfords racing 5.1 fluid is a good upgrade and works with AP fluid but you can't mix 4.1 with 5.1 and the 5.1 needs changing every 6 months allegedly.

:(

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
for good braking make sure you have decent tyres too.

Carbone Lorraine's are really good pads which work at any temperature due to their unique fully sintered metal compounds. The RC5+ is good for an everyday car. They do higher friction compounds too, but these ones are more suited to track as they produce a lot more noise and dust..

R26
Bembo disks, DS2500 pads and a whiteline rear adjustable anti roll bar. Cheapest way to get what you want in my opinion.

How do you rate the whiteline ARB?

I've already got Brembo HCS, braided lines and DS2500 (fairly happy with them, not tracked yet) and am looking at the ARB.

Are front and rear strut braces worth a look?

172 Cup
I have the brembo HC's with pagid rs4s and cannot fault it really. Went through dot 4 fluid very quickly but the AP 5.1 i am using now is working allot better. Would recommend the setup to anyone.

Suspension wise i am using the KW V2's with solid top mounts. Only ever used them with R888s on track but they have performed very well.

172 Cup
Not as much as you would think but does seem to take allot of movement out so feels allot more together at high speed and allot tighter on quick changes of direction.

Personally ive always thought the best way to become a good driver is to drive a bad car. If you make the car too good it just starts to drive itself. There is nothing wrong with learning to cope with subpar brakes or soggy suspension.

Clio 182 with Cup packs
It's been said already, but here's another vote for instruction.

Get your brakes checked out if you think there's a problem there, but spend money on training and more track days before throwing money at the car.

Understeer on your first trackday is classic. Too fast in, too much steering, too eager on the power on the way out. You were just having too much fun ;)

Also, brakes always seem better from the passenger seat!!