ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 updated brakes - 'dead' pedal travel

docdale

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Would be grateful for some advice please.

Just updated the brakes on my 172 with ktec front and rear kits (brembo HC discs and ultimately pads front) with braided hoses and updated fluid.

They squeal (expects initially) and stop very well (as expected) but I now have about a couple of inches of 'dead travel' where nothing really happens when initially pushing the pedal before the brakes then work really well.

I did not have this before the new brakes were fitted. There is no air in the system as been bled correctly.

It feels as if the pedal travel needs adjusting but I am not sure this is possible?

Whenever I have had updated brake kits fitted to other cars the pedal usually feels very solid and hard from initial touch of the pedal but this seems different and I am not sure why?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be the pads you have on mate, I've just fitted DS3000 and they're similar, not much happens then they bite like nothing I've felt before. What pads are they again you have fitted?

docdale

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
They are optimax pads.

It simply feels the pedal has no resistance at all (almost feels loose) then feels like the brakes engage and then the braking is fine/pedal then firm.

I can't work out why there is this initial dead space.

BG Clio 182
Yeah, does the pedal stiffen up with the engine off after a few pumps on it?

It could also be they need re bleeding. After bleeding them once and driving it about they can need re bleeding.

Try taking it for a drive and bedding them in properly. Mine felt exactly the same when I put the megane callipers on. Now the brakes have bedded correctly they feel excellent. Biting straight away.

docdale

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yep he pedal stiffens up after 3 presses so looks like needs re-bleeding (despite garage saying definitely doesn't). Think I need to go somewhere else! Thanks for the input.