ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs 182

04 1.2 Dynamique
Well i have been a member for a while now but have been a bit quiet as i only have a 1.2 04 dynamique:boring:... But the funds are now here to allow me to get a sport... My initial intention was a full fat 182.. but a few people have told me the 172 is better.. Im not sure what to go for... so what are your thoughts/suggestions?
thanks for your time :)

ClioSport 172
Depends what you want... I went for the 172FF for the fancy bits you get & the fact its so much cheaper...

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
I have a 182 FF, my brother has a 172 then between us we have a PH1 172 (track car) and between the 3 te PH1 is by far the best, cable throttle = <3
Could hardly notice the differance in the 182 and the 172 until carl put a RS tuner on the 172.

Buy a PH1 save money :D

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As others - it really comes down to what you want. The 172 vs 182 argument has been done to death in terms of performance. With the exception of the 172 Cup, the standard cars - like for like are very similar indeed. Some people can have a 'fast' 172 just in the same way some can have a 'slow' 182.

If you want the toys, then FF is really the only way to go. I still really, really like my car a good 3.5 years & 50k miles later. I've never regretted buying it. Even if I never use the Climate Control and hardly ever switch on the A/C!

If I had the choice of any RS Clio again (including the 197) - my money would be on a well-looked after 182 Trophy. I think that has been the pinnacle imo of recent times. Perhaps the only car that Renault has released that gets anywhere near the cult status of the Williams.

D.

Focus RS Mk1
go for a 172 FF. 182's are more expensive due to age, and the goodies are pretty much the same, 182 has a couple more but nothing that put me off my 172 FF.

trophy is a good buy if you wanna spend 9-10k on a clio. personally i cant see the attraction, for some fancy suspension and nice seats!

can add that to any clio.

i spent 5k on my 172FF and its spot on for me, glad i didnt pay another 2k for a newer 182 FF. wouldve been a waste imo.

1.8 Civic EX
lol at these threads....come one guys be honest...in reality they are all the bloody same car unless your planning on tracking it, thats the only real time you would benefit/suffer from any MINOR differences between them...

just get what you can afford

oh and to save Rollo from saying it...there is no such thing as a 172FF lol

I've owned both a 172 FF and a 182 FF and out of the box the 182 is simply the better more complete car IMO. Lots of little tweaks that all add up to a better drive. If you dont like the wheels and exhaust they're easily changed as are things like the impractical silver seatbelts.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
agree with loony i went from a 172 to a 182 and prefer the 182. like said just change the wheels. i did.

ValverInBits
toys are for suckers. If your anything like me then you'll never use the aircon becuase you want all the power and want better MPG too.
Get a 172 cup. or a phase 1, but alot of people find it hard to put up with the interior.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had both, 2nd hand a 172 is the better buy. No difference performance wise, same interior, handling not different enough to justify the price difference.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
i admit that the ph1 172 is definitely more fun to drive than my 182, but i'd never buy a 172 cos of the age/mileage. depends what you want out of a car i guess!

i wanted a newish car/low mileage/cruise control/and of course... racing blue with stripes ;) hehe. i'd defo go for a ph1 172 over a ph2 though, think ph2 172's are boring!

The trophys only came in the 'inferno' orange. I love it, some people dont it seems :)
LOL, no they didn't!! The Trophy was only ever produced in capsicum red. Inferno was available on the 182/182 cup. Everydays a school day, hey bud;)

Beat me to it, as said the trophy is a solid red, not inferno which is an orange with a pearl of brown/rust metallic colour (hideous too IMO, lol)

PH2 172
Id go for a 172 Cup even though the interior is not that great and hasnt the aircon etc but im glad i chose the cup over a 172FF. i wouldnt have a Trophy as i hate red cars like wise they should of done it in the racing blue would of looked mint. 172Cup all the way.

RB 182 Special.
It makes me laugh when people go about what to buy, stating that it's the best. More often than not they have no experience of the other cars in the range and are biast as they own the model they're recommending.

You need to think about how much money you have to spend, what you want from the car and how you will use it.

Put simply:

If you're not bothered about the toys and want some old skool fun then get a 172 Cup.

If you want the toys and leather etc. then 182 with Cup Packs.

If you want the best handling Clio ever made then get a Trophy.

I have a 182 with the Cup Packs and a couple of choice mods including H&Rs. And between my friends and family we have at least one 172 Cup, 182 without Cup Packs, 182 with Cup Packs, Trophy, 197, R26 (not a Clio but an awesome car) and until recently an R27.

Before getting my 182 I was looking at 172 Cups, but I wanted things like leather and the rest of the toys. The standard 172 was never released with the Cup Packs and the revised suspension does make a difference to the handling so I went for the 182 as I couldn't afford a Trophy.

As for people saying that there's no point in a Trophy, have they ever driven one? The suspension makes a big difference to the handling of the car, giving it a sharper turn in, making it feel much more planted on bumpy UK roads and through faster corners. There is a reason why it has been voted the best handling hot hatch ever by many in the motoring press.

At the end of the day it's your decision though, so I would suggest you narrow it down to say, two different models and try examples of both out to see which you prefer.