ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs mini coopers

172 is faster than the cooper by a mile and a bit quicker than a cooper s, i know cuz i work with them and get to drive minis all the time

I can say for certain that the 172 (Mk1) is faster than a Cooper S - as Ive actually raced one up a slight gradient for about 2 miles!!! :oops: Its not like youll destroy it or anything (its a chuffing fast car at the end of the day!) but its certainly slower.

I raced Rhys when my Cooper S was standard and only had 800 miles on the clock and didnt have any problems keeping up. Had a blast down a long straight to about 115 and again no one was pulling or gaining. Same over twisties with some nice straights thrown in. Also "raced" him in his Williams on a by-pass to the John Nobles RR day and couldnt get passed until about an indicated ton fifteen. Dont know how a 172 would do but isnt the Williams in the 18s to the ton?

A 172 is not the type of car that you pull up against everday at the light or meet on a clear country road but when I have I have never been embarassed by one. Maybe mine was putting out more power the it should as standard. At John Nobles it put out 179 brake which aint bad at all standard. Cained from day one it was!!!

I am meeting Rhys tonight as it happens with his timeing gear as I had the Hartge conversion completed last weekend. Should be putting out around 215 bhp now. Hopefully more as it was high in the first place.

Silver Fabia vRS

I raced a Cooper S last night and beat him...I couldnt believe it :D

Had a play with a Saxo VTR the other night and he was nowhere to be seen after about 40mph. When I hit !20 he was a dot in the distance, so I slowed to 70mph and it took him over a mile to catch up and then I left him again!

I love diesel power!

hehe 330 and 530ds shift despite being oil burners i was well impressed when i drove them at work, i would actually consider owning a diesel now, if you had asked me that a year or two ago i would have said over my dead body

Silver Fabia vRS

I have had mine chipped too so its got even more poke! Up from 184bhp and 285lbft to 220bhp and 325lbft.

Getting a new zorst fitted soon which will make the turbo spool up quicker and about another 5% on those figures.

What made you go for the 330d over the 330i Geoff?? Company car? By the way they are pretty impessive figures. Especially the torque. Get it booked into Hartge and they will turn it into even more of a beast.

Silver Fabia vRS

I went for the 330d becuase I do a lot of business miles and I wanted to get my huge insurance down! 330i is quick but not a lot quicker, in fact the in gear times of the 330d are better than a 330i!

I test drove the 330d and was so impressed by it that I just bought it. Plus chipping a diesel gives more benefits than petrol.