ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 with apparent gearbox gone

Renault Scenic 182
Hi newly registered to the site but been browsing for a while :cool: have just done a search but haven't found what im after

A friend of my brothers has got a 172 on an X plate in silver he got it on 34k miles and thrapes it everywhere and it seems to take it quite well, except the other night, hammering back from the pictures with the missus all seemed fine but when he came out in the morning and tried to set off it wouldnt, turned it off and tried again but nothing so next day he had it towed into a garage

they replaced the clutch with a new black diamond one (charging £300 in the process) and it would now drive, but on the test drive before giving it back to him it was noticed the gearbox apparently whines like hell when slowing down from speed

they have said that reasonably soon it will need a gearbox (they have quoted £1k) and he is getting bored of it but even with this problem it hasnt hindered the performance by any means :evil: its on 60k now has had the cam belt done late last year so thats out the way, its got a full stainless and is lowered and maany off here after reading the bove will say stay clear BUT

i have offered him £2k for it which i think is reasobale and fair :) ? although it has this issue it would save me a fair amount and he is getting back to me tommorrow, now for a start is this a common problem with them? and does it require the box replacing? i have been told "theyre bad for gerabox's" but no one can describe in which way:rolleyes:

after searching breakers yards for a 172/182 for a box i cant find any but then i had an idea would a box of a scenic 2.0 16v fit? just i can get a box of a monaco for reasoble money, they are geared for 140mph top end on 16's and i think below 9 -60 so i reckon the box's cant be that different unless the engines are different?

if not what other cars can i get one from? not really arsed about top end but do want the acceleration and how much should i expect to pay if i miracurously do find a good box?

how hard are the box replacements? a friend of my brothers said its an engine out job and in the search on here it certainly brought up a couple of threads saying that

also stab in the dark here when talking about it with a mate and describing it he said it sounds almost definately like the clutch release bearing but im doubtful as it sounds to cheap to fix:lolup:

cheers for any replies will be much appreciated

wayne

172 cup'd extreme
Any JC5 box will fit, check if the car has ABS speedo drive or Gearbox sensor, you can check this by looking at the top of the gearbox under the airbox it will have a large sensor with a metal cover on it, if it has the gearbox speedo drive your gearbox choice will become limmited.

a decent box will cost you between £150 and £300, you could have the original one fully rebuilt for around £300.

Getting the box out isnt an engine out job but you will have to either completely remove the subframe or drop the subframe down enough to get the box out through the gap.

To me it sounds like it needs some oil in it, the final drive at the end of the box is running dry and making that noise.