ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't start

hello i have a 2004 clio 172 it has done 70000 miles it was running fine until last week when it wouldn't start firstly i thought it was the starter motor however when it was looked at we realised it wasn't. it turns over but wont start and all the power seems to be dying! we bumped it and it ran ok But then the warning lights started coming on and now it wont even Bump! it seems like there is no power even with a charger it wont start! would this be an immobiliser problem or could it be the ecu? i don't really have any knowledge about these things advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

172 Ph2
hello i have a 2004 clio 172 it has done 70000 miles it was running fine until last week when it wouldn't start firstly i thought it was the starter motor however when it was looked at we realised it wasn't. it turns over but wont start and all the power seems to be dying! we bumped it and it ran ok But then the warning lights started coming on and now it wont even Bump! it seems like there is no power even with a charger it wont start! would this be an immobiliser problem or could it be the ecu? i don't really have any knowledge about these things advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

It seems that you are thinking along the right lines! It could be the immobiliser! I assume you're not an AA member?

well when you try and start it all the warning lights come on really and the speedo and rev counter go a bit funny there is no power but even with a starter pack it wont fire up, would this happen if the battery in the key fob was a bit flat or do you think the problem is a bit more serious? thanks

172 Ph2
Have you tried disconnecting the battery, leaving it 30mins or so, and the reconnecting it? Might work???? If not, I'd get it plugged into Renaults computer!

M

mini-valver

Its the immobilisor, exactly the same problem I had. Click the key a few times next to the interior light, if that doesnt work you'll need it plugging in and resetting!

thanks a lot i hope it is just that i'm worried its gonna be an epensive job! not had time to get it to the garage yet. fingers crossed!

172 MKII FF
Hi,

Did you manage to sort this problem. My car has started with a very similar problem. I try starting it and nothing happens, it just clicks. I can turn the side lights on but the full beam headlights just kill the car. We tried jump leads this morning and that didn't help.

Appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks,

80MPG BEEZA
i had a problem not starting i replaced plugs lead and coil pack, disconnect the battery and leave it 30 mins, when you get in wait for the immobiliser light to go out before turning the key

1998 BMW e46 323i
Last holiday I left my car for 2 weeks unused. Was dead and needed a new battery. Strange thing is a year on, having just come back from hols, the car wouldn't start once more. Bumped it to no avail, lights crazy, clicking, windows not working etc. Took a booster to start it.

Now I was questioning the keyfob and immobiliser, but surely the car windows would operate regardless of the immobiliser?

And what is draining my battery?

172 MKII FF
I had something similar to this once, except mine was left for an hour. It turned out to be a corroded wire to the battery.