ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 wouldn’t start 1st, 2nd, 3rd....

.....4th, 5th, 6th time i tried to start it today. Eventually it did start around the 10th attempt. Its never done this before now and wondered what could have caused it? Oh and has this happened to you before?

Cheers

Hannah

DI you wait for a few seconds when you turned the key to the start setting if you wait for some of the lights to go out it may start.

The 1.2s had some problem with this maybe the 172 has similar problems. It needed new ECU maps to fix it under warently

EDD

Had you started the car for a short time (like moving it in the drive) the night before when the car was cold?

CTR EK9 turbo

mine used to do this - immobiliser wire connection to the starter motor or something. Give it a wiggle then try again........thats if it wont start....

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 09 November 2003

.....4th, 5th, 6th time i tried to start it today. Eventually it did start around the 10th attempt. Its never done this before now and wondered what could have caused it? Oh and has this happened to you before?

Cheers

Hannah

Is it trying to fire or is nothing happening when you turn the key???

If its not firing then it will be the imobilsier, I had the same problem the dealer fixed it under warranty! If it is firing then I dont know.....check your engines not of fire!! :confused:

Yes it wanted to start but couldnt. What happend was my friend started her up fine first time, then she reversed it down the drive and switched the engine off. Then it was left 5 mins or so whilst we loaded it up with bags.

Then when i came to start it, it wouldnt. I left it a min or so, then tried again but nothing. Eventually it started after numerous attempts. Its quite a concern though as im going to manchester tomorrow evening and if it happens again i might be in trouble :(

All the electrics looked fine, the stop, handbrake and battery light all came on as usual before firing her up.

Do you think i should take her to the dealers?

alot of 172 have cold start problems but it sounds like the immobiliser to me. Make sure you dont leave the key in when trying to restart the engine - remove wait a bit and then put the key in, wait a sec and turn. The chip reader will stop reading it if you leave the key in. im sure its explained better somewhere in the manual.

actually, thinking about it...my old clio had something like this problem. on the starter motor there used to be a clip on the old clio and if it got full of sh*t then it wouldnt supply enough power to turn the starter motor - might be similar design.

I think ill have to take it to the dealer (as much as i hate leaving it with those muppets) :( Might aswell make the most of my warranty whilst i have it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 09 November 2003

Cheers

Hannah
Immobilser faults are commen on clios(faulty key heads).When it doesnt start what is your immobiliser light/led doing?(on instrument panel) EG,does it go out or flash really quickly.

CTR EK9 turbo

try your spare key as well. May be that your battery is on the blink in the key fob? i needed mine replaced after like a week! great!

After then it was the immobiliser. Theres a special wire that i had to wiggle (as instructed by AA man) to get it to start when i was stranded. It seems to be fine now. Probably a fluke fix by renault when they fixed something else!

Here is my "no start" story FWIW

Put key in ignition, turn key, click... nothing (repeat for 5 mins), use wifes car

Later.. bla bla.. turn key ..vroom vroom

Next day in dealer (getting rattle fixed) "cant find anything wrong"

Next day turn key, click...nothing, use wifes car

Later.. bla bla.. turn key ..vroom vroom, take it down to local garage

"cant find anything wrong":(

Next day turn key, click...nothing, decide to lift the lid and have a look, tighten battery terminal screw (very very loose:oops:), turn key ..vroom vroom:D

Struth...Furkin spanner monkeys.

I have a problem with starting since new... is a 172 Mk2 Ph2

In fist try to start of the day it fails and when start the entire care is shaking like an old car.... when it reach the normal temperature the engine is normal, it happen more frequently when rains. Other thing is that if the car start shaking and I try to reach the 2000rpm slowly it sounds like is drowning...

Renault Dealer cannot find anything... :mad:

Please HELP ME!!! here is my topic: http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=58196&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=58196&PagePosition=1

Under Clio Discussion - http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=58196&PagePosition=1Problem with cold start!!

Thanks a lot

:)

I have some problems with immobiliser too, sometimes its just flashing after the key is turned and sometimes I cant lock the doors (unlocking is working fine). After I put the key into ignition for the second time everything is working again. What is going on? Any clues? What wires should I wiggle? Battery in the key fob is replaced and few moths ago I was at service but everything was working fine there so they didnt do anything...Please help Its annoying:(

A well built VW

Had you locked the car if so did the remote key work?if not immobiliser problem

Like all the other said check the light for the immobiliser next time it happens i had a similar problem where i washed my car then locked it up for the night about 4 hours later i went out to see the immobiliser light had stopped flashing just on constant car would try to start but immobiliser was stopping it

Next morning out with wifes hairdryer in the section that houses the relays to make sure no damp had gotten in aparantly a common problem but still no joy removed battery terminal +ve reconnected and hay presto started first time

had exactly the same problem with a clio about a week ago. Took ages to start but did eventually. After it did start and got warmed up it had a slight misfire. Took it to Renault next day and they changed a faulty coil. Thats the second one they have changed in two years - both of which went around the same time i.e just as the nights started to get colder !!

hope this helps

mitch

Neil - didnt take it that high in the rev range, I just warmed it up round the block. You could tell something wasnt quite right with the car, but it wasnt cutting out or anything. Once the car had warmed up though you could hear an intermittant puff from the exhaust every now and again when idling and it was a bit stuttery when blipping the throttle...

I did wonder at the time whether the Clio suffers with the same problem with the coils as the VAG cars - I was going to purchase a cupra before I got my renault and it seemed a common problem.

Oh and this has cured the problem ....

I think warm to cold start problems are common on Renaults in general, I seem to remember that been mentioned on top gear, 5th gear, pulling Power or Deals on Wheels I cant remember. :confused:

Pooch-Unlocking is working always, but sometimes when I turn the key in ignition immobiliser light keeps flashing, then I pull the key out and then back into ignition and then everything is working fine (no immob. light as it should be). Ive never tried to start the car with imob. light flashing because it should stop flashing if everything is OK (I will try to start it next time and see whats happening in that case). Also, sometimes when Im trying to lock my car nothing happens, red light on key fob is flashing but nothing else, then I get back into car put the key into ignition and turn it (2 times, not starting the engine) then get out again and lock normally? WTF is going on ? It started few months ago and in service they have no clue because it was working flawlessly there. Could it be moisture (I had no problems during summer) or is it something with immobiliser?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

noticed a new tech note at work the other day about 172s not starting when its cold.the note suggests reprogramming the injection computer.