ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172Cup V Corsa VXR

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Anyway back to the orginal question and assuming its to 60mph.

6.5 cup compared to 6.8 vxr to 60. book figures

But IMO Its all down to who gets the best start. Or how fat the driver is or if one had a full tank of petrol and the other empty. Wear on tyres etc etc

Its 0.3 seconds in it!

Don’t know about the cup as I had a FF but my VXR is noticeable faster from 80-120 on a runway. So if was a 0-120 drag id say the VXR would take it

But if a cup driver was 4stone heaver (25kg) than the VXR driver and had a full tank of petrol (35kg) thats 60kg increase in weight or the same as a 172FF giving 7.1 to 60.

There are too many variables. Unless a robot drives them, the closest comparison can only be made with maths (this annoys some though)

5.9 secs...I would like to se that.

172 Cup v VXR - who gives a toss? Cup's aren't about straight line speed. I know which handles better.

5.9 secs.... I would like to see that ---like i said just maths:boring:

yes cups are not about stright speed. but the question wasnt which is fasted on a twisty track

Just maths? What are you on about? Letstorque does not take into account gearing/traction etc

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I have had a sprint against a VXR twice and every time I passed them with not too much trouble, believe me the RS clio's are quicker.

Both times the VXR started the 'sprint'.

Could be different against a re-mapped one?

Mk2 172
I have had a sprint against a VXR twice and every time I passed them with not too much trouble, believe me the RS clio's are quicker.

Both times the VXR started the 'sprint'.

Could be different against a re-mapped one?

I struggle to believe that. I doubt the corsa is even run in. Like ive said before, i drove an astra vxr when it was first released and had done 1500 miles or so and i wasnt that impressed. My mate now has one and his has done 12000!!! I can assure you, it definately doesnt feel the same as the one i drove!!! its a completely different ball game. it sounds to me like its not run in!

Turbo LY R27
This thread is well funny! Why is everyone gettin soooo defensive about the 172? Corsa prob would win.:)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
This thread is well funny! Why is everyone gettin soooo defensive about the 172? Corsa prob would win.:)
its well funny. its another tread that has been turned into “me against some1 else” not machine v’s machine. The stig could kick my arse in a fiesta st if I was in a scobby STI im sure.

But I understand why. The corsa vxr is the antichrist on a clio forum!! my best made is Judus

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
yes i know thats why after each time i say it is MATHs = not the real world.

it’s the same principle when people design buildings etc. They use maths to design structure and use the known tolerances for each material. In the real world (like you say regarding gearing& traction) things do act differently

yes i know thats why after each time i say it is MATHs = not the real world.

it’s the same principle when people design buildings etc. They use maths to design structure and use the known tolerances for each material. In the real world (like you say regarding gearing& traction) things do act differently

Good you agree with me then.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I agree that things work defiantly in the real world than on paper. But unless a robot is behind the wheel of each the outcome if always going to be different even if its 0.00001 of a second.

That’s why theory and solid stuff like physics can only every be fact.

Listen to a load of economist around a table. They all think different as all have opinions. None of which can ever be proven

178hp 172 Cup
u did ask for a dicussion and that is wot ur gettin :)

i would give a vxr a go anytime!! if i loose who cares!! as long as ur happy with ur car and its performance then it dont matter!! there is always cars out there faster than urs!!

i have never driven a vxr but hav driven other clio sports and the cup is noticibly faster!!

Black Gold with cup packs
Tiff Needel did back to back laps of cadwell one in a 197 and one in the vxr corsa sometime. They were both standard demonstrators provided by the manufacturer. I think the 197 was a clear couple of seconds ahead over the lap so a 172 cup would be quicker still i reckon as it's not as lardy as the 197. I think both cars standard, on a 1/4 mile would be pretty close. Probably only a matter of feet, but a lap of a racetrack with bends it'd be the cup.

As more of a handling fan I just thought i'd a new element to the discussion!

The R27 is quicker around a track than both the 172cup and 182cup in standard from, so The 197cup would be on par, if not a tad quicker than the R27
The 197's actually make their said figures as well, as older clios didn't, I ran a rolling road test with 2,400 on the clock and recorded 198bhp at the fly. This is prior to my custom induction kit and full SS exhaust system with sports cat. I am very interested to see wha tthe cup will make when I get the car back.

ITB'd 182...
not sure on this tbh. my 182 is'nt slow top end. 145 pennies is rapid and it doesnt take long to get there.
would love to have a play with a corsa. but i do love the seats in the vxr

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Tiff Needel did back to back laps of cadwell one in a 197 and one in the vxr corsa sometime. They were both standard demonstrators provided by the manufacturer. I think the 197 was a clear couple of seconds ahead over the lap so a 172 cup would be quicker still i reckon as it's not as lardy as the 197. I think both cars standard, on a 1/4 mile would be pretty close. Probably only a matter of feet, but a lap of a racetrack with bends it'd be the cup.

As more of a handling fan I just thought i'd a new element to the discussion!

The R27 is quicker around a track than both the 172cup and 182cup in standard from, so The 197cup would be on par, if not a tad quicker than the R27
The 197's actually make their said figures as well, as older clios didn't, I ran a rolling road test with 2,400 on the clock and recorded 198bhp at the fly. This is prior to my custom induction kit and full SS exhaust system with sports cat. I am very interested to see wha tthe cup will make when I get the car back.

where've you read that? i've drove the R27 and standard 197 and couldnt get near the time i set in the Trophy..... on the same day with me driving...

The R26 was about level but R27 was around 1.5 seconds down - at Cadwell, Outlon and Brands!

clio 172 cup
All the vaux tuners are doing a basic remap/chip to 225-230 bhp giving a figure of 191 bhp per tonne. In a straight line maths has it

Seeing as we're not talking standard...

I've got 177 bhp and about 950 kgs = 186 bhp/ton.

Wanna play? ;)

right so if i had vxr i'd remap it, bigger intercooler and new exhaust and a lsd for 2500quid i'd then have say 250bhp 250+lb torque i'd like to see the clio match that performance for the money and watch the clios gearbox go bang if it did and y is it that half these posts end with the clio will have it on the corners:rasp: its not the best handling car

where've you read that? i've drove the R27 and standard 197 and couldnt get near the time i set in the Trophy..... on the same day with me driving...

The R26 was about level but R27 was around 1.5 seconds down - at Cadwell, Outlon and Brands!

I'm pretty sure I'd be quicker in my 197 than I would be in a Trophy too. It's just what you're used to.
I do believe the R27 would be quicker than a Trophy if both were in the hands of professional drivers.

But that's not what this thread is about...

I think the 172Cup and VXR would be about even in a straight line, on track the Cup would kill it and MarkCup's car vs. a chipped VXR would be the same story. I'd pay to see the VXR drivers' faces actually.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The 888 VXR is the one to have.Or get a VXR and chip it through vauxhall for 550 quid rather than spending 2.5k on the rest of the stuff

APR LCR225
On the road youd be pretty even, on the track there might be points of seconds either way due to driver error, conditions, reaction time...etcetcetc...who cares, its what you like best:rolleyes:

NEED V6!
5.9 secs...I would like to se that.

172 Cup v VXR - who gives a toss? Cup's aren't about straight line speed. I know which handles better.

5.9 secs.... I would like to see that ---like i said just maths:boring:

yes cups are not about stright speed. but the question wasnt which is fasted on a twisty track
I test drove a VXR an hatted it felkt heavy an did'nt sit right when cornering the sales put his foot down up to around 70mph an I never had a smile on my face as just felt borning as all the VXR models are (with the Exeption of the VX220 vxr).

Anyway left the dealership bored got my brother to drive down the same road an there's a massive difference in feel an power also the agility to safety take a corner with you foot planted to the floor.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The Corsa would pip it in a straight line - remapped it would beat it by a bit more. EVERYONE knows this - it's simple fact, I'm not sure why people feel they need to argue black is white tbh.

Dan

MINI JCW
My Clio Cup used to 14.1 secs to 101 with 181 hp. I've been looking about on the VXR forum and there is no way a chipped 220-230 hp one will do 14.1@101 1/4 mile.

101mph in 14.1 secs from a 181bhp 172 cup? Seems very very optimistic considering a std 172cup hit 100 in 16.9 (Autocars figure). I suggest where ever you had that tested you go back and get them to test their timing equipment as 9bhp increase doesnt lead to 3 secs quicker to 100mph.

Just looked on autocar and the VXR does 0-100 in 16.8 so would be close std v std

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
clio V's corsa meet would sort some of this sh!t out.

still the clio is more of a drivers toy...........