ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172FF Gearboxes... How tough are they ??

A quick one,

How tough are the 172 gearboxes ?

And do they take a pounding ?

Or is it like a lucky dip ?

One 172 gearbox is tough and another 172 one is not ?

And what miles have you guys got on your cars ?

And what gearbox are you's on ?

Example.

Me i'm at nearly 40,000 miles and on original gearbox ;)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Its a lucky dip.

They are barely strong enough for a standard engine.

And there isn't any better gearbox that bolts in easily.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Is this just a myth though, i've not heard of many troubles on here? Yes they aint the most willing if rushed, but nothing major?

What you mean f**ked ? :dapprove:

What went in it ?

And did you hammer car all the time ?

Must up a gear change once and it now crunches really bad in 3rd, (car is now on 58k) can't say i've abused it to much.

Is that a 3rd gear syncro on its way out ?

As it crunches ?

As i had an old mk2 golf gti that used to do it when you thrashed it in 2nd :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah, but IMO should happen on a car only done 44k, hardly much.

is there a difference between the 172cup and 172 ff box?

Yes but hardly noticable.
Apart from the speco sensor nope.

Its got the same code only difference is the speedo output line.

gearbox isn't that great its not that bad idither realy its never been a good baox and its only got for 200Nm with warently and the 172/182 make that much power so they are at there warently limit.

Quite a few have been changed but its usually abuse.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Mins fine on 70k, a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way :) It does get a hammering quite often too :p

PH1 Oddy, M140i
45 k, 200 bhp, I dont rag it on the way up and usually rev match on the way down....no hint of any probs and I find the shift just fine, Short and easy! Dony know what half of you are on about!

M2 Competition
53k, have crunched/ missed third a few times, change pretty quickly according to most people, box is fine.

Bump

Lol :)

Whats the power limit on these gearboxes before they start to suffer and make bad noises(whining etc)

In between cars....
At some point a gear change has been fooked in mine im guessing, its a bit rough on the change down to third

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
My 172's gearbox lasted 40k and I didn't abuse and spent alot of time sat on the motorway in 5th.

In between cars....
How difficult is it to pull the box out and change the 3rd gear syncro?

Is that the likely culprit?

RS RIP
Bump

Lol :)

Whats the power limit on these gearboxes before they start to suffer and make bad noises(whining etc)

C'mon Dicky ! read what Edde had to say in the last page, that says it all..

Box is running at the limit of power it can handle (200NM) so when abusing you will go over the edge quickly and damage it.

But there are also the people who have put a turbo on their engine and are still okay with the box.. they just watch their gearchanges.
Actually all French gearboxes are crap :quiet: