ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172s got quite 'bellowy' and burning smell

RB 182
As title really, ever since i bought it back i've not been 100% happy with it.

Basically when i got it back it had a slight misfire, which eventually got really bad. This turned out to be the coil pack, so i changed the coil and leads - the plugs were only a few k old. I also changed the pre cat lambda sensor as it was bring a fault code up for this

I also changed the back box for a genuine brand new Renault one as it had a really s**t spurious one on it

but

Its really 'bellowy'! Sounds almost like its got a open cone filter on it or something, although not quite as loud. I dont remember it soudning like that before. Its not pulling like it used to, even with 104k on it id like to think its still got some go! Its still got a bit of pulling power, but not like it used to! The belts 20k old so the timings not out. The other thing is it has a slight smell of burning after a journey, when your stood outside it. At 1st i put this down to the new exhaust, burning the oily coating off it had on it, but this is now a few months old.

My thoughts are maybe a blocked cat? With me driving it with a slight missfire under load for a few weeks maybe the unburnt fuel has damaged it

Does anyone agree with my diagnosis, or have any other suggestions?