ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172vs new civic type-r

mk2 172

fred, your on about the EK-9 ctr, a car i was dying to import last year but the cost to buy and insure was too much. theres two versions, one crappy interior one but with that work of art engine (185 bhp 1.6, the spec sheet is awesome). the other with type r red buckets, fancy gear nob and air con i think. one of them has a LSD, the one that can hit 5.7 to 60 with a top notch driver. although it wouldnt keep pace with my williams 60-100 which put me off a little but the stealthness and rareness would be great, still would like one, if only its top end could match the bottom

dream-dream-dream.come on boys the CTR is the king of the block and you know it.you dont see many 172s becos they arnt much cop.as for ctrs not being quick to 100mph bo****s.ive hit sub 16 seconds plenty of times(bye bye subaru)0-60 dont prove anything(keep reading max-power)0-60 is for nova/gti boys.feel the v-tec power-ooh wots that in my rear view mirror-pussy cat 172s.you can mod a 172 all day long but you can mod ctrs aswell.not bad for 13k,just stick to racing golfs-bye bye gti!

"dream-dream-dream.come on boys the CTR is the king of the block and you know it."

Mmmmmm I think YOU need to wake up and smell the coffee my friend as the CTR is certainly NO KING OF THE BLOCK. At the end of the day they are both excellent cars and both have there advantages and disadvantages. Personally I quite like the CTR, and it is a very quick car, but the 172 is no slouch either and on the road there really wouldnt be that much in it. As for handling same again not that much in it.

Personally ill stick to my Williams, ive come up against a few CTRs in the road and was surprised that they really struggled to keep up. One of which was owned by a friend of mine who can drive very very well and admitted to me that he felt that he just couldnt keep up.

I think time we invited some CTRs to the next Cliosport track day so we can all see that there is really no need for all this constant bitching and that in the hands of the right driver they are both fairly equal and enjoyable cars.

I think ive said my peice now.

Dazz

is your willy modded darren?ive battered a few of them myself(1st day of ownership)they are quick-but come on mate 172s are not in the league of ctrs-however everybody THINKS there car is the best-not a bad forum(just a lot of giddy kids using it)150mph+ catch that!13k for a 172 or 16k for a ctr-go get an overdraft!your turn.

Yeh my Willys slightly modded. 170bhp 151 Ibft Torque, and dont for get its weighing in at only 980kg which in the end gives my Willy a better power to weight ratio than the average CTR. Ive done some timing etc on an AP22 and you would be surprised at the results. Also ive my Willy round to 150mph but wouldnt go any more as I hit the limiter in 5th, but at the end of the day im not talking about who can get the fastest speed in a straight line. If thats what it was all about wed all go and get ourselves some big hunk of sh*te with a massive V8 engine and away wed go. But we all know (including yourself im sure) that its about far more than that and there are many aspects to take into consideration other than the claimed Power, 0-60, 0-100 times etc listed in the magazines and manufacturers brochures, which if were all honest are usually a load of b*****ks anyway. It is still my own opinion that the 172 is a good match and is in the same legue as the CTR and anyone who has driven both to there full potential will say the same im sure and at the end of the day it is all down to peoples individual taste, likes & dislikes, driving style so ultimately it is something that the two types of owners will never agree on.

Dazz

cant fault you darren!banter makes the forums go round-ctr/172/willys still slap cars twice the price-enjoy boys thats wot its all about

Spanking smug BMW drivers is still my prefered hobby!!;) Saying that if I could afford a 330ci or M3, I would be driving one... does that make me bad (plus I also indicate!!)

Jeez. I remember when Stig Blomqvist won the rallies in his 155 bhp Skoda Felicia...

The CTR and the 172 in its various derivatives are both good fun, fast cars that handle well and provide good entertainment on road and track.

All this bullsh*t about 0-6 and 0-100 times gets a bit tedious. A two second difference in the 0-100 time means that the faster car is marginally faster only, itll be slightly in front, pulling away ever so slowly.

On paper these figures may sound really big( wow, my car does 30-70 in 5.9 seconds, and his "only" does it in 6.5... ). Big deal. Fluff up a gearchange and the "slower" car will bullet past.

We did some comparative runs between my CUP and my mates Accord Type-R. He did 0-60 in 7.8 and I did it in 6.6 seconds. Guess what, theres hardly any difference on track.

So its pretty even then. Respect to all corners.:)

LOL.... Thats why straight boring lining racing bores the nuts off me..... Corners!! Yes PLEASE...... I bet I could beat a sh*te driver of a 172 up a country road in my 1.2!!! I have never had a race where someone has kept up with me round corners. Apart from a few mates who are good too!

More backup!

I was in my extreme last night. A ctr owner must of seen the ClioSport sticker and thought i was a 172 so he started revving at the lights. I thought f**k it ill go after him and try and piss him off , but guess what..he stalled! tw@!!!