ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172vsCTR (again!) track video.

Personally I never really liked the look of the CTR compared to the 172 - seemed too boy racerish - that is until I saw one in silver!!! Pulled up next to it on the A4 (?) and was in a lot of traffic so couldnt play but it did look nice - soo much better than the red and blacks ive seen. Really surprising what difference colour can make to someones opinion. But the trouble is that for the 172 price you dont get such a good CTR inside - i like my comfort and toys!

Oh, and great vid - those drivers are more daring than me, wouldnt get my 172 that close to another car on a track (yet!)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by 172man on 21 March 2003

Steve = :p

106 vs CTR muhahahah the guy cant drive.

The clip proves a well driven 172 is major problem. Can you imagine a valver trying to keep with those 3.

Look at it wallow..... leen leen leen..... looked like a bag of sh*te.... LOL how little you know. The chasis is very adjustable on the 172 mk1. It can lean but this is how it handles. It relies on good grip at the front through the rubber, get it right and it handles superbly. As an ITR found out on snake pass hehe ;) The 172 does have more torque per ton than both the cars in the vid.

172 RULE
Ide have a very good go. and you may well be very surprised. Dont under estimate the valver.

Greta vid by the way.

It caught up on that chicane rather a lot actually. Do we know about modifications on the three cars?

I think the CTR vs Clio thing will go on and on..looks like Steve has made his choice so lets forget it, just dont adopt the logic of the invincible CTR owners matey!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Jock_071279 on 21 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 21 March 2003

Jock_071279 - I thought you were getting a CTR?!? Read your posts on the Honda forums.
I now own a CTR geordiepaul ..... had it for about 3 weeks now....

Jock

Oh! Poor you! ;) Just your caption said you were getting a Clio!

Quote: Originally posted by Jock_071279 on 21 March 2003

Jock_071279 - I thought you were getting a CTR?!? Read your posts on the Honda forums.
I now own a CTR geordiepaul ..... had it for about 3 weeks now....

Jock

Oh! Poor you! ;) Just your caption said you were getting a Clio!

Yeah i was actually going to get a 172 ...but unfortunately for me and my bank account i had a test drive in a CTR and then there was no contest ....... oh well ...... I might try and get a test drive in a cup though ....

Jock

hehe .... only joking ...i do like the 172 and think that on the track it would be all down to the driver .....as far as me choosing the ctr over the 172 ..i guess it was a case of each to their own, i saw it and liked it better ..just the same as all those 172 owners who thought the same of the 172 over the CTR..... and i wanted something with a bigger boot than my saxo.

Jock

I had the opportunity (well I had to let both of the guys have a go in the caterham which was really scary) to drive the mk1 clio & CTR around the track, must say really not a lot in it though the preferred the talkative steering of the clio & adjustability in setting it for the corners. Driving position was not good nor the gear change.

Not really a lot in the two the CTR had the better brakes & yes did corner a lot more flatter though if you dropped out of the zone time could easily be lost.

Horses for courses

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 21 March 2003

End of the day it was the driver that gave the Clio the edge not the car...
Agreed...

The Clio driver was clearly better than the guy in the CTR and Id have liked to have seen it if the 2 drivers swapped over and went again. My guess, the CTR would be in front then, purely due to driver skill.

As Ive said many a time, driver skill can (& does) make a lot of difference!

p.s. How f*cking good does the camera car sound though! :D