ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

181bhp cup

hello peeps, finally got the cup remapped post head + cams etc, and its developing 181.4 bhp at 6000 rpm -

ps. at the wheels - hehe

+ running ultra sweet

yes, but unlike the first few attempts, this time the mapping was done properly . Took us 4 hours but worth every minute.

ok, in order:

the power at the wheels is

3k 78, 3.5k 92.4, 4k 117.2, 4.5k 138.8, 5k 152, 5.5k 168, 6k 181.4 6.5k 177.2

max power at flywheel is obviously guesswork, but probably 205-210.

injectors are still standard and we have spare fuelling capacity

using cams regrind by piper. fast road profile to keep idling steady. 280/270 duration. max lift at tdc 1mm in order to keep solid lifters.

head and inlet manifold were flowed and ported, race spec.

A garage local to Colin whos also equipped for unichip. It was good fun: Mario at the throttle with his knock sensor headset, Colin at the laptop in the passenger seat and yours truly listening intently for knock. Funnily enough most of the remap was at partial throttle openings where we were getting knock, a few adjustments also to full throttle maps.

What torque did it put out on the rolling road? Did you have it rolling roaded with the normal renault ecu after the headwork and cams were done (in other words, does a fully mapped chip give much better results than the same work with the normal ecu)? Thanks.

responses: on torque, its at 190-195lb/ft. I did have it RRed with the normal ECU when the unichip was originally fitted (before head/cams, after IK/exhaust with 3k miles on) In "normal" guise it was only putting out about 166bhp, and after the unichip 174. I have had access to the standard Renault ECU map and it is all over the place with very wide variations. A really shoddy job by Renault, although I have now been told the standard renault ecu itself may be reprogrammed and avoid the need for a bypass ecu or even a group n ecu.

Neil, the head was done by CTM performance in Ilford. They do nothing but that and have 25+years experience. I had the head flowed, valve seats modified, inlet manifold flowed and ported to the head. It made a huge difference even before the cams.

Philip do you have a de-cat?

Can you give us a list of mods for your car please:) Everything you have done so far would be great.

jeez I hardly finish typing some info and now you want the inside leg measurements too!

Right: If you deliver the head and manifold to CTM you can probably get it done for £400-500 depending on the amount of work you ask for. You can also leave the car with them as they have access to a mechanic but that will cost you extra labour. maybe £900 or so all in, inc new bolts/gasket.

When doing the head it would be a shame not to do the cams too and you can prob get your cams regrind by piper to a fast road profile for about £150-£180.

You cant quote me on some of these numbers because I was at the bleeding edge when doing this stuff Pipers used my cams as prototypes. What they would charge now is a different matter but I would guess you can get head and cams done for £1200 all in or so.

Hope this helps.

BTW, despite all the above, my best modification has been my suspension work. If anybodys interested, thats the best money/performance you can spend.

Quote: Originally posted by philip on 16 February 2004

I have had access to the standard Renault ECU map and it is all over the place with very wide variations. A really shoddy job by Renault, although I have now been told the standard renault ecu itself may be reprogrammed and avoid the need for a bypass ecu or even a group n ecu.
phillip more questions :oops:- the bit about the Reanult chip...who would be able to reprogram the standard chip? Could it be done by any rolling road centre? To what extent can improvements be made with the standard chip?

Christ: Im locked to my keyboard or what!

k-tec SS cat back - nice noise, useless on its own, comes into its own with other breathing mods

BMC. same as K-tec: nice noise, useless alone, comes in with other mods

unichip: shows how bad the original ecu is. BADLY DONE, UNICHIP OR ANY OTHER CHIP IS CATASTROPHIC AND WILL COST YOU £1-2K !!!!!!!!!! max power on F4R engine will occur past the point when knock/detonation occurs. Do not allow a muppet to remap. You need a proper wideband lambda sensor, knock sensor, and people who know what they are doing. I had to replace all four pistons!!!

Head and inlet manifold: see details above. Immense improvement

Inlet/Outlet cams: go for fast street and keep existing solid lifters. Anything wilder would be fun but needs hydraulic lifters, new springs etc

Harder NGK cup race plugs

suspension: koni sports adjustables, eibach sports, full geometry setup: camber bolts front shims back - best mod

brakes: so far - custom braided hoses and dot 5.1 racing fluid. Pads soon to be updated to race pads - Fogs removed and ducting about to go in

Thats all folks.:D

Very nice philip, nice to see its all finished after our hours of talking lol!

Told you headwork would be fantastic!

BTW people, my headwork for the 172/cup is favourably prices.....give us a PM and ill send you the details of work.

as for the ecu mapping, when i was working with superchips they were able to change whatever we wanted.

Hi Ben, yes the pressurised cranckase had us puzzled for a while, until we caught the problem with a proper leakdown test. You should see the state of the piston rings!

Anyway, its resulted in a great looking - but now redundant - closed loop oil breather system with cavitation tank and all LoL. Looks the business!

Yes, the biggest "power" mod was definitely the headwork. doing the manifold too and porting it properly definitely paid off.

if thats making 190lb/ft of torque il eat my own ass! surely the standard fuel injection system cannot flow enuff air to produce 190lb/ft. youd need throttle bodies to get that kinda torque figure, even that wud be pushing it.

jimbo

R

rich[182]

190 torque sounds bout right, after all this aint no ecu & filter mod, some serious work been done there, jesus bet it pulls like a train

im talking about the whole inlet system. the single throttle body system simply cannot flow the air to allow 190lb/ft. stick the engine on a proper engine dynamometer and il beleive ya. 190lb/ft is touring car engine torque output, and they need 8500rpm, mad cams and big throttle bodies to acheive that...

jimbo

the vauxhall c20xe cosworth designed 2litre twin cam has been used in motorsport of all forms fr past 15 odd years. its been tuned to the max(you will probably know the score ben r) and is known to be one hell of an engine. standard form uses a 65mm throttle butterfly, and smaller 20mm primary plate. as standard this produces 156bhp and 150lb/ft. to get anywhere near 190lb/ft requires the use some taper throttle bodies and major league engine work. your looking at the fat end of 4-5grand - http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Main.htmhttp://www.sbdev.co.uk/Main.htm

i cant see theres gunna be a gain of 40lb/ft from some wilder cams and some head work. ur gunna need throttle bodies for that, jsut like roamer

jimbo

Lionel Richie

This is very interesting, i think Mr Roamer will be getting headwork ASAP!!! Headwork + the setup he currently has = fook off fast car (it already is BTW!!!)

well, to be honest, you cant directly relate body diameter to possible torque figures. The XE only makes 150bhp because its inlet manifold design aint great and the cams dont help.

the S1600 series runs a restricted 60mm tb and makes about 220bhp at 8500 odd rpm.

Type Rs make a hell of alot of bhp with a similar setup.

And with my rough calculations his engine is making 182lb.ft torque at 6000rpm.

but civic type rs dont make 190lb/ft tho do they, 150 at best. but its made high in the rev range, therefore a nice bhp figure.

so in all honesty, roamer mite as well have jsut fitted flowed head n cams rather than tbs in order to get over 200bhp?

jimbo