ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Alarm fix ?

Astra VXR 17/05/07
I have had a random problem with my 182 Alarm for a while now. It false alarms every now and then, might not do it for weeks on end then it trips several times over a short space of time.

Had it booked in at the dealers this morning but have nothing to show them because it`s a random problem.

However, as usual my dealer was brilliant and got one of their technical guys onto it. Had a chat with him as he was working on my car and he had the alarm all stripped out. What he has done is, separated the ultra sonic wires from all the other wires. He told me that it has been known that this can cause the alarm to trip, and by separating the wires it might solve the problem. A really helpful guy and at least he did something, rather than fob me off on the basis there is no fault to fix.

He has said to see how this goes, if this does not stop the problem then he mentioned another option is to swap the ultra sonics around, but this looses some of the cars sensitivity, and on a car like the 182 he quite rightly acknowledges that maximum security is what they would rather provide.

Anyhow, will let you know if what he did works. Thought i`d post this in case anybody else has the same problem, random faults are frustrating and if this can help someone else then good stuff !

Focus ST
Quite a common problem.

Happens every now and again. Others have posted it when they first released the Mk II, but nothing for a while. Perhaps they have generally sorted it now?? Who knows (not Renault for sure)...

My only advice when it comes to alarms for anyone and any car would be to buy a toad Ai606. They the daddies this is my second one my first being the one on my nova gte which also went on every other gte i had aswell as a nova gsi! it went every where with me

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Macdaddy, why on earth would i want to go out and pay for an alarm for my 182 when it has a thatcham category one fitted as standard ??????

I am trying to sort out a minor fault on the one i have, which is still under warranty, it would be madness to go out and pay for one ???

So your advice regarding my 182 alarm is to go out and buy a Toad ? Ermm thanks for the advice but i`ll pass on that one.

Get them to trn the sensitivity down of the sensor easy to do its a common problem just put the sensor wires in the other way round turns them down to 20% rarther than the hypercentertive 80% there often plugged in at.

As regards security well if someoen wants to steal your car and isn't thick they know there is an alarm so will fix that beofre even getting to set the sensors off so why bother having them super sensitive?

Astra VXR 17/05/07
If what they have done works then I'd rather have the sensors at maximum and working at that level, if it does not work then I'd be OK with them adjusting how sensitive they are. Like the Renault guy said though, he would rather sort it so they are at maximum and working properly instead of changing it. So far so good, no false alarms.

If a car can be stolen by someone who knows how to get around ultrasonic sensors then it won't matter if they are 80% or 20% !!! They will get around both.

IMO alarms are a pain in the butt, i would be quite happy with a good immobiliser on a car. Nobody takes any notice of a car alarm going off anyway, but if there is one fitted I'd rather have it working to its maximum.

Funkyjahooner said:
If what they have done works then I'd rather have the sensors at maximum and working at that level, if it does not work then I'd be OK with them adjusting how sensitive they are. Like the Renault guy said though, he would rather sort it so they are at maximum and working properly instead of changing it. So far so good, no false alarms.

If a car can be stolen by someone who knows how to get around ultrasonic sensors then it won't matter if they are 80% or 20% !!! They will get around both.

IMO alarms are a pain in the butt, i would be quite happy with a good immobiliser on a car. Nobody takes any notice of a car alarm going off anyway, but if there is one fitted I'd rather have it working to its maximum.
There to sensitive at full sensitiity though hence why they should all be turned down. Air vents open or pointed towards certain bits of the car is enough to set them off.