ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 aux belt / steering clunking noise

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
As per title.
I've been getting a clunking / loud clicking noise from around the aux belt/ alternator area.
When it's been on full lock, either left or right it's really loud.
This morning with the engine only slightly warmed up just turning the steering wheel slightly it was really loud when stationary. Once the engine is warm the noise seems to die down, with just faint clicking noises coming from that area.
I checked the power steering fluid and the level was ok. However when I removed the filter from the power steering fluid reservoir there was very very tiny almost power like grey stuff , maybe metal particles. It's the first time the filter has been removed in 14 years of ownership.
Any ideas anybody ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Something on its way out there.

Probably the pump seeing as you mentioned it happens more when steering.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Something on its way out there.

Probably the pump seeing as you mentioned it happens more when steering.
That's what I was fearing . How easy/hard to change, cost etc ..........? is it worth getting hold of a 2nd hand pump ?
What's the worst case scenario of it completely fails?
I've still not sorted the long pedal travel on the brakes yet. Just got a replacement servo, m/c and vac hose. The servo just needs a bit of tidying up , surface rust removing and painting then was gonna phone Birchdown.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That's what I was fearing . How easy/hard to change, cost etc ..........? is it worth getting hold of a 2nd hand pump ?
What's the worst case scenario of it completely fails?
I've still not sorted the long pedal travel on the brakes yet. Just got a replacement servo, m/c and vac hose. The servo just needs a bit of tidying up , surface rust removing and painting then was gonna phone Birchdown.

I wouldn't rely on my diagnosis 😂

But it's definitely worth checking it out.

It'll have to be a 2nd hand pump as Renault no longer supply them, unless someone has one sitting on a shelf. They were about £200!

If one fails then potentially it could seize up and spit the aux belt off into the cambelt.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I wouldn't rely on my diagnosis 😂

But it's definitely worth checking it out.

It'll have to be a 2nd hand pump as Renault no longer supply them, unless someone has one sitting on a shelf. They were about £200!

If one fails then potentially it could seize up and spit the aux belt off into the cambelt.
That's what I was worried about .
It never rains but it pours :(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When was the Aux belt tensioner last changed? That can make that noise and often worse on full lock @MRBILLYUK
Last aux belt was changed April 2017 ( 17k miles ago )at Birchdown. That was after a fiasco at a local garage after problems with my alternator. They'd damaged the tensioner so went to Birchdown had a the full aux kit fitted.

The car was off the road for nearly 8 months , garaged and sorned while I was away. In that time the alternator had somehow fucked up when I came home to start it.
Took it to a different local garage who fitted another alternator. Since the it's never sounded quite right.

Like I said in my first post. When i removed the filter from the power steering reservoir there were fine particles of what looked like grey metal. There wasn't alot , maybe that's normal? I wiped then off with my finger.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
There is a good chance that it probably is the pump with the metal bits in the filter. The one on my transporter was the same when it went. There were quite a few metal fillings when I drained all the fluid.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
A big thanks to Andy and Steve @Birchdown :)
Sorted my clunking aux belt noise / power steering pump and sorted the long/soft brake pedal, today.
Thanks guys . Spot on as always with your work (y)

Birchdown

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup / 172 Exclusive
No Problem Andy, Long/soft brake pedal? I'd say you couldn't of had any brakes mate but all went to plan (y)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
What sort of price did you pay to change the pump please? Mine is making exactly the same noise! Just toying with an EPAS conversion or just changing pump
The pump didn't need changing . A local garage near me changed the alternator and had broken the tensioner and refitted the aux belt wrong causing the power steering pump to stall, so not spinning all the time.
New aux belt kit fitted and everything is working as it should now.
Maybe check that your belt is running ok.