ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 climate control issues

Clio 182
About a week ago my car started blowing out air on full power and heat, even when the climate control was switched off.

I had a look through here and it seemed like the blowers being on full power was most likely caused by the resistor pack not working properly, and that the heat was likely to be caused by the cog on the motor opening up the vents for heat being damaged as i had seen posts where people had both issues together and these were the causes. Today i had a look at the cog, and it was fine and the motor was working correctly. When i put it back together i had full control of the heat but the blowers are still on full.

This makes me think it was a loose connection for the heat, and probably still the resistor pack causing the blowers to be on full. It just seemes a bit odd that both these problems happend at the same time. If anyone has any other suggestions af areas to check i would be grateful as i don't really fancy buying a new resistor pack if its not the problem.

also sorry if i take a while to reply to posts, i have limited acces to the internet due to moving house recently.

Thanks,

Mike

260% JCW
Blowers fixed to max is most likely the Resistor back mate, time to bite the bullet.

I used to repair them where i used to work, as it's piss easy job. I've got friend on here called stava who still repairs them i think. Drop him a PM.

Clio 182
Cheers for the advice!

I'm currently trying to decide between buying one from Renault for 120 odd pounds, getting a 2nd hand one for 40 ish and risking it being faulty, or getting mine fixed.

Only problem with sending mine off is I'm guessing I will have no blowers till its back and could do with them for the screen in the mornings. I've seen some people short the pins to bypass the resistor pack to find if its damaged. But I'm guessing this isn't a good idea as a solution for a week or so while I'm without it.

Any ideas if doing this will burn out the motors, or is there no resistance when they're on full anyway?

260% JCW
I haven't read about people shorting them out so can't really advise you on it, you're right though with out the resistor pack you will have no blowers.

To be honest I repaired mine and there isn't much to go wrong (repair wise). The hardest bit is cleaning out all the resin they use to waterproof it. I would also not advise getting one from a breakers as you don't know how long it's been on the car and it give up as soon as you fit it.

Try this guy out, seems a good price and 24hour turn around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arParts_SM&hash=item3366761262#ht_3706wt_1037

JCJ

Clio 182
Had the same problem, heater working but stuck on full power. It was my heater resistor.
There is a brilliant step by step guide to fix this -http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ol-Resistor-Pack-(Clio-II)&highlight=resistor (thanks benkay!). Get a MOSFET HUF75339P3 off ebay, mine was £2.50 delivered and a soldering iron for £7.50 and do it yourself.
It's not difficult, took me about 2 hours, and I've never soldered before. Just went on youtube for a demo and away I went.
If you know anyone who can solder even better. Mine works fine now and if it happens again I know exactly how to fix it.
Kev is right about the breakers or getting it fixed on ebay is another option. Try fix it yourself though, not much to loose if you
gonna buy a new one anyway!

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
JCJ, is that part number definitely the right one? The component is physically a lot smaller than the existing one in the resistor pack. It's more like a surface mount D2PAK whereas the part number you mentioned is DPAK sized. Was the component you ordered smaller like this?

JayD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 (ph2)
Looks like the part number should be HUF75344G3 (manufactured by Fairchild). The other part number has the same electrical characteristics so will work but might overheat and fail as its thermal conductivity is quite a bit lower (due to the smaller thermal tab).

Clio 182
cheers I'll give that a try, still haven't got round to getting it fixed as been a bit short of money and got insurance renewal this month so that solution is ideal. I've soldered before but hadn't managed to find a guide on how to fix it so didn't have a clue what to do when I got inside the resistor pack!

Thanks for the part number advice as well, found an HUF75344G3 on Ebay for £8.50, I'll let you know how I get on!

Clio 182
all works again now, despite having major issues removing the old component and thinking I must have fried the other components in the circuit!

Cheers for the help, this site must have saved me several hundred pounds by now!