ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Clutch Cable Change....Help.

Mercedes SLK350
I need to have my clutch cable changed, I called a dealer who said they would need my car for 3 days, in which time they would determine the problem, order in parts and do the job.

I'm 100% sure I just need a new clutch cable, so at the end of the month the dealer needs my car for 3 days to do a job which takes a hour. :S

So I think I might just aswell do the job myself. I have searched for a guide to changing the cable. I found a thread which seemed to contain conflicting posts on how to change a clutch cable.

I'm therefore asking for someone to post up a definitive guide on how to do the job please.

Many thanks, Lee.

Tell the dealer to do one! tell em to order the cable , then when it's there take your car in ! just tell em to change the cable " don't do anything else" i'm getting mine changed tomorrow! £63 all in from main dealer! not bad i think!

leon

clio 182 black /gold
How long do these things last? I have had cars for years and only changed a cable once.

All depends mate on driving styles , and if you want to keep on top of the maintance. my cars done 27k , and i'd rather spend £60 now and have a nice smooth drive , than wait till it's proper fooked as it must put strain on the clutch, which in turn will put strain on the gearbox!

If it feels fine then leave it, mine feels tight and creaky, so i'm gettin it done.

leon

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
I changed mine a few months back and followed the guide on here.

I took the drivers front wheel and lining out but found that the servo was obstructing the path to the cable.

I thought the guide may have been for another model and not the RS.

Once I got to the cable,the rest of the gulde was spot on i.e cable tieing the old cable to the new one and pulling it through.

Have a go yourself mate im no machanic and if I manged to do it anyone can.

Cable cost me £16 from my local stealer.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I changed mine a few months back and followed the guide on here.

I took the drivers front wheel and lining out but found that the servo was obstructing the path to the cable.

I thought the guide may have been for another model and not the RS.

Once I got to the cable,the rest of the gulde was spot on i.e cable tieing the old cable to the new one and pulling it through.

Have a go yourself mate im no machanic and if I manged to do it anyone can.

Cable cost me £16 from my local stealer.

Where did you get the guide?

Mercedes SLK350
I used the guide aswell, some of it made sense, some of it not.

Intead of removing the o/s/f wing lining, my Brother fed the cable by reaching behind the moulded lining behind the engine. Once I saw the end of the cable through the aperture it feeds into, up behind the clutch pedal (me in drivers footwell), I then pulled it through.

The cable was then attached at both ends, and hey presto.