ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Idle

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

Good Evening,

I have noticed that after I driven my 182 Cup after a while it idles at around 700-800rpm when in neutral. It also seems to struggle to keep running and doesnt sound very smooth either. The car is only 4 days old and has about 250miles on the clock. Is this normal?

I know they get better with age but its a little worrying, still drives fine though!
Also, there is a rattle coming from the glove box area, any ideas what that could be?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

Thanks guys, I was being a little paranoid like usual!

Any ideas on the rattle? There is nothing in the glovebox.

VaVa

As the F4R is in every clio for some reason. Some say its to do with the cams, others say its to do with meeting emissions at idle. Who knows?

Either way,its nothing to worry about.

VaVa

Oh and give the plastic trim above the glove box a smack - mine used to rattle like f**k. In the end I took it off and padded the back with double sided sticky pads.

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Also, there is a rattle coming from the glove box area, any ideas what that could be?

Classic 182 rattle (i had it), and heres how to fix it:

If you look in the passenger footwell under the glovebox (need to get onto your knees outside the car) you will see a loom of wires bound tight in what looks like shiny insulating tape. Youll find that the insulating tape is jammed hard against plastic and vibrations from the car make the cable "squeek" against the plastic, although it sounds like a rattle.

I got a piece of foam and put it between the cable loom and the plastic - no more rattle.

Mine idles like a sl*g, and has done since new. I often drive other cars and marvel at smooth the tickover is...but then the Clio would tear them a new arris so who cares?

BMW 120i Sport

You can see in the picture below the loom of wires in the shiny covering. This was where my rattle was coming from as it got jiggled around and vibrated on rough road surfaces. I had to insert a little pad of foam between the shiny stuff and the plastic trim where the rattle was coming from.

See if it works for you.

The bonnet release catch is on the left, apologies for the blurred pic.

http://www.aoth56.dsl.pipex.com/footwell.jpg

[Edited by Big G on 5/23/2005 10:31:27 PM]

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220

When I picked the car up from the garage it had half a tank of fuel already in it (I think they filled it with normal unleaded). I have been topping it up with BP Ultimate since so am hoping that will help.

Mine idles like sl*g on Optimax too, although I could convince myself that its smoother on oppy than on most others. It uses Opti, been caught twice and used 97, but shes never had 95, and never will as long as I drive her.

E60 diesel powah

mine does this in idle...i got a 1.2 dynamique..? ive been told by couple people off here could be the idle control valve?

The idle control valves the problem in the older Clios. The new cars could just do with a cleaned out throttle body usualy but a relaod of the software or new spark plugs are other common problems.