ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 eating a LOT of oil :(

Clio 182 RS
Yeah so my 182 is eating a lot of oil. In all fairness I do like to give it beans a lot but it is probably using about 1 litre every 3/400 miles so I am suspecting valve stems or rings. Has anyone else seen this level of consumption?

Keep my car in your prayers lads:cry:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yeah so my 182 is eating a lot of oil. In all fairness I do like to give it beans a lot but it is probably using about 1 litre every 3/400 miles so I am suspecting valve stems or rings. Has anyone else seen this level of consumption?

Keep my car in your prayers lads:cry:

Have you got any smoke, if so what colour? Where is it parked? Any oil stains?

Clio 182 RS
Have you got any smoke, if so what colour? Where is it parked? Any oil stains?
White/ grey smoke mainly but not crazy amount i think is more due to the decat and it running very rich because it hasnt been mapped but also after starting up after not driving for a while a puff of light blue smoke comes out and sometimes during idle some blue smoke starts to come out not very thick tho

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
White/ grey smoke mainly but not crazy amount i think is more due to the decat and it running very rich because it hasnt been mapped but also after starting up after not driving for a while a puff of light blue smoke comes out and sometimes during idle some blue smoke starts to come out not very thick tho

I’ve genuinely never seen head gasket failure on an F4R - but blue smoke would indicate piston ring wear (oil in the chambers) - whats the status of the engine? Mileage/turbo charged etc?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Without seeing it, hard to say.

But it does sound like the bottom end wants refreshing

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whatever the cause - it’s rebuild time. If you run slightly thicker oil and don’t drive like a helmet, it could last for years like that.

But if you like driving it fast - you either need to buy another engine or have yours refreshed I’m afraid.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Is that a very expensive fix? Or is that not whole rebuild worthy?

Needs looking at properly to confirm the issue pal.

If I was breaking cases, the absolute minimum id do would be:

Rings
Hone
Gaskets
Valves and stems
Shells and bearings
Belts
Water pump etc
Bolts
Oil pump

Sky’s the limit though. The above would likely be £900-£1200 ish in parts by my reckoning for stock items. Labour maybe the same again ?
It’s hard not to get in to porting, polishing and balancing when you’re already in there. Speaking from experience. Slippery slope.

You could Ofcourse just get the problematic part replaced, but I think you’ll struggle to find a respectable builder that’s willing to do just that, as the liability on them is high as the rest of the engine will be tired.

Could also swap out the motor with another, but that also carries risk.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 RS
Needs looking at properly to confirm the issue pal.

If I was breaking cases, the absolute minimum id do would be:

Rings
Hone
Gaskets
Valves and stems
Shells and bearings
Belts
Water pump etc
Bolts
Oil pump

Sky’s the limit though. The above would likely be £900-£1200 ish in parts by my reckoning for stock items. Labour maybe the same again ?
It’s hard not to get in to porting, polishing and balancing when you’re already in there. Speaking from experience. Slippery slope.

You could Ofcourse just get the problematic part replaced, but I think you’ll struggle to find a respectable builder that’s willing to do just that, as the liability on them is high as the rest of the engine will be tired.

Could also swap out the motor with another, but that also carries risk.
Well I know someone who will do it but I think that the price might realistically be higher, unless you happen to know anyone?

I mean I am topping it up as I go but yeah I just got the suspension and brakes done so I am basically going to have to commit to this 😭

Clio 182 RS
Whatever the cause - it’s rebuild time. If you run slightly thicker oil and don’t drive like a helmet, it could last for years like that.

But if you like driving it fast - you either need to buy another engine or have yours refreshed I’m afraid.
Well as long as it doesnt cost over 4-5k thats fine for me

Clio 182 RS
Its like an addiction, shame I can't be competent enough to build engines. As long as it doesnt cost me a mortgage

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
i think is more due to the decat and it running very rich because it hasnt been mapped

Running excessively rich
Bore wash/oil dilution
Excess Bore wear
Smoke

Fetch a new engine, and make sure this one is mapped correctly. Otherwise you'll f**k it up again.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I assume you're in the UK? Try 10W-40 synthetic oil - it’s a good choice for year-round driving.

My 182 daily, with 87,000 miles and a full-service history, burns under half a litre of oil every 1,000 miles. I think that’s pretty reasonable for a 19-year-old car that’s probably been thrashed from cold by its three previous owners.

It's a matter of deciding whether to spend thousands on a full engine rebuild - which, let’s face it, isn’t guaranteed to fix the issue - or just top up the oil every 500 miles or so. And just do more regular oil changes every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Oil is cheap - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69385-...chnology-car-engine-oil.aspx?variantid=409765 Purflux oil filters are like £4 off Autodoc (original Renault filters).

What are the options these days? Andy at Engine Dynamics is semi-retired, and Alex at AW Motorworks might be able to do a straightforward drive-in, drive-out solution. But who else out there wants to tackle a basic engine refresh? With the scarcity of quality parts, I’d say most quality builders would prefer to push boundaries and focus on bigger projects.

The reality is, for the price of a basic refresh by a reputable builder, you could probably just buy another 182 with a decent engine. Case in point: my previous 182, with 132,000 miles, 11 former owners, and a part-service history, burned less oil than my current car - it used to leak out of the bottom instead.
🤣

Old cars—don’t you just love them!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I assume you're in the UK? Try 10W-40 synthetic oil - it’s a good choice for year-round driving.

My 182 daily, with 87,000 miles and a full-service history, burns under half a litre of oil every 1,000 miles. I think that’s pretty reasonable for a 19-year-old car that’s probably been thrashed from cold by its three previous owners.

It's a matter of deciding whether to spend thousands on a full engine rebuild - which, let’s face it, isn’t guaranteed to fix the issue - or just top up the oil every 500 miles or so.

What are the options these days? Andy at Engine Dynamics is semi-retired, and Alex at AW Motorworks might be able to do a straightforward drive-in, drive-out solution. But who else out there wants to tackle a basic engine refresh? With the scarcity of quality parts, I’d say most quality builders would prefer to push boundaries and focus on bigger projects.

The reality is, for the price of a basic refresh by a reputable builder, you could probably just buy another 182 with a decent engine. Case in point: my previous 182, with 132,000 miles, 11 former owners, and a part-service history, burned less oil than my current car - it used to leak out of the bottom instead.
🤣

Old cars—don’t you just love them!

I'm planning sourcing a spare to rebuild and mine doesn't even need it yet :ROFLMAO:

Just nice to know I've got Gucci freshy on a stand in the garage ready to slot in when the day does come.

But I'm weird.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I'm planning sourcing a spare to rebuild and mine doesn't even need it yet :ROFLMAO:

Just nice to know I've got Gucci freshy on a stand in the garage ready to slot in when the day does come.

But I'm weird.
Good plan.

When my daily starts causing me problems and I can't be arsed fighting with it anymore. I'm going to combine all the good bits from my 2 182s to make one good one.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thankfully I know plenty of engine builders. May be easier to just throw it at ED.

I am capable of building a motor. But certain elements I would have to outsource anyway and I just don't have the time.
Funny enough, I was talking to Andy yesterday about my current track car engine as he built it. Knows his stuff.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
You should probably sell that engine to me at a crippling loss mate.

Paypal good for you?
Too fast for you!

200.gif