ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mystery oil leak in my first and new car :(

Clio Campus 1.2 16v
(Photos attached)
Alright guys I’m new to cliosport.net and new to the roads. I managed to buy a 2006 clio campus sport 1.2 16v (75 hp) with 49K miles on the clock, great condition. Everything is mint and mechanically sound or that’s what I thought until maybe 4 days after driving it I started to notice small puddles of engine oil (drivers side) where I was parked, put it down to the oil cap not being on properly or the dip stick not being put in properly which I know is something that can happen with these cars. Took it to my local garage with concert that it could be the valve gasket cover but the mechanic gave the engine bay a wash down and said the dipstick wasn’t on correctly. Having continued driving daily I am still leaving reasonable drips and small puddles of oil wherever I park, any ideas? Upon taking it to a different garage yesterday they thought it could maybe be the camshaft gasket just due to the age of the car and wear & tear etc.
oil all over the top of the engine bay and being spat up on the underside of the bonnet as if oil is maybe dripping onto the belt and being thrown up as I drive?
No engine lights.
Engine temperature fine.
“Oil level OK” on dashboard
Dipstick reading normal
Will be putting it into the garage tomorrow for some thorough diagnostics and to get to the bottom of this hopefully it’s just a worn out gasket/ Camshaft seal as I don’t think it’s expensive to do and I literally just bought the thing for my first car lol
739ADB55-4CCA-46AE-897A-EB69D2E0C2DB.jpeg
58FEE677-B44E-4DAC-B3DD-2351C889C16D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8655.MOV
    55.9 MB
  Clio Campus 1.2 16v
f**king hell that's everywhere!

A video of it running should be fairly noticeable as to where it's coming from. Maybe get someone to rev it a bit.

I've never seen a bay that covered before 😂
Had my uncles pal who knows a bit about cars have a look earlier while I have it a rev and there’s no indication where it’s coming from, I know the bays absolutely soaked and that’s it been wiped down twice😂😕

Clio Campus 1.2 16v
f**king hell that's everywhere!

A video of it running should be fairly noticeable as to where it's coming from. Maybe get someone to rev it a bit.

I've never seen a bay that covered before 😂
I attached a video at the bottom of my thread too mate can you see it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
We have some people showing concern with a few damp patches of oil on the top of their undertrays. But wow - that's taken a good spraying there!

Personally, I'd be a bit twitchy about the alternator getting a good coating too - but then again, I know jack about electrics.

Welcome aboard to the good ship CS, btw!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Any chance it was massively overfilled with oil? If it's reading ok on the dipstick and there is that much oil on the outside it had to be well above the max mark originally