ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Engine Characteristics

Clio 182
I bought a Clio 182 some months ago, I only sat in one and bought it as I thought it was really nice. I had a 106 gti before hand and that was a much revvy engine and there was power all the way through the rev range. On my Clio, there's power and then at 4.5 - 5k it really kicks on! Its quite noticable, and was just wondering whether that was a characteristic of the car.

Thanks
Tom

53 Clio's & counting
hi mate, in short yes it is, it is where the car becomes most efficient at producing its power, use the search button for a more detailed explanation as this has been covered many times

And the 1st person the asy the word VVT will get slapped!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
hi mate, in short yes it is, it is where the car becomes most efficient at producing its power, use the search button for a more detailed explanation as this has been covered many times

And the 1st person the asy the word VVT will get slapped!
On cam IIRC?

:clown:

ITB'd MK1
It's down to EURO4 emissions restrictions. They come alive where they're allowed the fuel they want rather than being held back by closed loop and a lack of acceleration fueling. Ph1 172s are better as the regs are slightly less strict (EURO3), 197 is worse (EURO5) the regs are more complicated than that by a long way, but that just gives an idea.

ITB'd MK1
So if it's not Vtec, VVT or Garlic bread.. then what the chuff makes my 172 go sick at 5k?

basically its slightly lean until a certain rev/load point, then it gets the fuel it needs to make power.

Similar strategy has been used by aftermarket chip companies for years to make the car "feel" faster

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mine is mapped and its deffo got a smoother curve than other 182's i have driven. The "kick" is less pronounced.

330i. E30 Touring.
BenR wrote a detailed explanation of why the 5k kick happens iirc, but I can't be arsed to find it..

53 Clio's & counting
Yup, some maps will smooth out the 'kick' , sometimes even making the car seem slower due to not having a kick, but in fact its faster due to having more power through more of the rev renage, markcup's car springs to mind, terrific power through the whole of the rev range

clio 182
I remember when i test drove my 182, i floored it in second and thought hmm....this is fast but nothing special then it hit 5k and i knew i had to have one lol

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
Mine felt stupidly slow compared to my other car until 5k, if you keep it on the power band it shifts though!

Im used to it now but thought there was something wrong to start with! so used to turbo power :)