ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Expansion tank cap

Clio Trophy
In my continuing saga of trying to rectify umpteen small faults...

Slowly been losing coolant for a while but no leaks are evident (going from max to mid-way on the tank after around 1000 miles) so replaced the cap with this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-...l:Clio&hash=item5b064e970f:g:WxoAAOSwajVUNqeb

Doesn't seem to have made a difference but in my attempt to tighten the cap more it appears I've gone too far and then it loosens off again. I can get it just tight enough to use though.

I thought the cap looked ok but does a genuine one make all the difference? Could it be the expansion tank itself not allowing it to seal as well as it used to?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Would allways get a genuine one personally, but how much difference I've no idea. Have you had the head gasket checked? Rare but not unheard of.

dan's cast offs.
that cap looks pathetic, painted by a three year old??

the 'description' is fookin' comical to say the least!!

Clio Trophy
Would allways get a genuine one personally, but how much difference I've no idea. Have you had the head gasket checked? Rare but not unheard of.
No, hadn't given it any thought. There's certainly no sign of the oil filler cap or oil being in anything other than good condition.

that cap looks pathetic, painted by a three year old??

the 'description' is fookin' comical to say the least!!
Didn't notice that before! The one I got looked ok.

Clio Trophy
An original Renault cap seems to have made no difference. The car has gone from the max mark to the min mark in around 1600 miles.

This cap also feels like I could over tighten it to the point it will just loosen off again. Can anyone tell me if their cap does this? Any other car I've had you can tighten a coolant cap as hard as physically possible.

I'm wondering if it's to do with the expansion tank itself where the cap fits, I have since pressurised the cooling system and it held pressure no problem for a good 15/20 minutes with no drop or visible leakage- the adapter that fastened to the expansion tank had a seal on its face so it bottomed out completely tight. This is making me wonder if it could be the expansion tank.

Clio Trophy
As far as I'm aware.

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 176
  Clio Trophy
No to both although the water pump is only a little over 2 years old. Would a head gasket issue not present obvious problems over the sort of miles I've driven?

The oil looks totally normal.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be worth getting then both checked for sure. Very rare for a head to go tbf but worth a look

It's nice
I had the same issue (no visable coolant) So i took mine to mick@diamond he found the rubber gasket in the thermostat housing had perished

It's nice
Think the gasket is a couple of quid from Renault.im sure you will find a thread on here to help you out.

Clio Trophy
Reviving this.

I reckon my coolant slowly going down could be the heater matrix. The car was back at SWR in Stirling a few months ago for an aux belt and a few bits and pieces, got them to investigate this and there was definitely no signs of an actual leak, they'd pressure tested it, held it for ages with no issue, no signs of coolant residue anywhere.

More recently I'd noticed my windscreen would fog up way too easily and it was the other half that actually clocked a bit of a coolant smell when the interior fan was on, I think I may have got used to it until it was pointed out.

Assuming it is a dodgy matrix, just how big a job is this to sort?

dan's cast offs.
Matrix is fun to do, just about everything out upper and lower dash!!

You can just bypass the pipes under the bonnet to confirm though.

Clio Trophy
That easy and quick enough for a garage to do? Would that just mean no heat from the fan then and I could run it and check if the coolant stays steady after a while?

dan's cast offs.
Pretty much. Its a bit fiddly as the pipes are on a snap connector on the matrix, they are held on to that with a metal band so you need to cut that off first.