ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 gearbox in a 172??

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I'm relatively new and still learning, but I think the early 172 (even mk II)boxes are different, as they have a sensor for the speedo but the later ones (and the 182 boxes) take the speed reading from the ABS sensor.

I am probably wrong and I will probably be corrected, but at least i'm putting a caveat around what I am saying.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Shadowness said:
Slightly different ratios too
Afaik 182 and ph2 172's have the same ratios. Ph1 have different ratio's, as they aren't lardy pieces of s**t ;).

Golf GTD Mk7
ph1 has a slightly higher final drive ratio from memory. ratios in 172 ph2 and 182 are the same. Diff is bolt on in the 182's but that makes no difference. Not sure how much hastle the speed sensor or lack of is.

BMW M5 & E36
Seems to be some confusion here.

Ph1 172 and 172 CUP's have a speedo sensor in the gearbox itself, the 2 boxes are different ratios but can be used on either car.

Ph2 172 and 182 use the ABS sensor for the speedo, and don't have a sensor in the box.

So going by the OP's (Car: clio 172 cup (S7U OE)), he'll need either a Ph1 or a Cup box.

If he has a normal Ph2, then yes he can use either 172 or 182. 182 benefits from bolt in diff, rather than older (SH*T!!) circlip.

260% JCW
I have a phase 2 non cup 172, 02 plate and my gear box has a speed sensor in the back, as does a freinds 03 plate 172 non cup.

Although the car does use the ABS ring for speed, it still has the sensor in the box for some reason.

Golf GTD Mk7
Seems to be some confusion here.

Ph1 172 and 172 CUP's have a speedo sensor in the gearbox itself, the 2 boxes are different ratios but can be used on either car.

Ph2 172 and 182 use the ABS sensor for the speedo, and don't have a sensor in the box.

So going by the OP's (Car: clio 172 cup (S7U OE)), he'll need either a Ph1 or a Cup box.

If he has a normal Ph2, then yes he can use either 172 or 182. 182 benefits from bolt in diff, rather than older (SH*T!!) circlip.

That's what I said ;) in a round about way lol