ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 gearbox into 172

Welcome to the L4yer
I have sourced a gearbox from a 182 Trophy a JC5-130. I assume it will fit my mk2 172 FF (a JC5-129) as both cars use the ABS sensor for the speedo. Can anyone confirm this and will I experience any problems due to different ratios?

Welcome to the L4yer
cheers, any advice on what I should go for. A second hand JC5-130 with 16k under its belt for £275+VAT or a brand new box for £495+VAT?

lift number 1 @ btm
my 172 had a jc5 130 from the factory, which caused all sorts of fun when i came to have it re-built, as the casing is different internally.

lift number 1 @ btm
cheers, any advice on what I should go for. A second hand JC5-130 with 16k under its belt for £275+VAT or a brand new box for £495+VAT?

where did you get a quote for a new box for that?? renault quoted me, 288+vat for the casing, and 267+vat for the bell housing, and that is without the internals!!

P

phill172

was about to say, i think all in it was going to be around £1500 fitted from renault, so would imagin the box was around £800? I didnt stick around to long to find out!

sod that

lift number 1 @ btm
not sure to be honest, i phoned renault to get the part numbers, and they gave me the code for my box too. i do know that the difference is to do with the bearings types, and that the later boxes have fixed circlips to stop the wear on the syncros. but in turn have a weaker diff design.

Welcome to the L4yer
Just read elsewhere that electrical connectors are different on 182 gearbox (JC5-130) to 172 FF gearbox (JC5-129 I think). Can someone confirm I can use a 182 gearbox in a 172 FF. I have just bought a second hand box with has done 16k and I want to make sure it will fit before I pay the garage much money to fit. Please help, Edde, Fred!?

172 cup'd extreme
The jc5-130 will fit your car no problem as long as it isnt a cup. Its a better box too, it doesnt have the circlip retainer for the diff.

lift number 1 @ btm
they might have been talking about the tdc sensor, but they are all changed from renault now, iirc the old one had a black clip, and the new ones have a blue clip. they both still fit though.

Welcome to the L4yer
Cheers drhowser I will book it in the garage sharpish. Can't wait to see what the car feels like with a newish box. I'm also getting this done:

48k service
cambelt
NGK plugs
engine/gearbox mounts
clutch release bearing
oh and fit gearbox

Sometimes I think it would be cheaper running a Skyline R33 GTS-T

Don't matter putting a 130 box in your car.

Won't make any difference.

Use some good gearbox oil though. and IMo chnage the clutch etc at the same time and new cable.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
VIPER my gearbox went a few weeks ago-managed to pick up one off ebay for £195 with 37k but found out it was listed as a recon gearbox so unlikely to have done that much mileage. I was also told my old gearbox in my car was a 130 which is listedf im told as a 182box.
Added bonus with this recon box was it came out of a cup so had a speedo drive&excellerated much quicker- car goes like a stink now :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had a reconditioned box direct from renault and it was fucked so don't think buying from renault will save you problems

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
This gearbox came from a private salvage company up near middlesborough. They had the car it came out of which was a 172ff but for some reason it was a recon 172 cup box. Some of the "experts" on here said it would make no difference wotsoever but let me tell you it does! Excelleration is phenomenal to wht is was before,some even said it was cos the gearbox was on its way out performance was lacking but i never noticed.

My local renault dealer wanted £831 for a new gearbox and that was with my mates discount who works there.

Welcome to the L4yer
Chears edde, jph172. I think the main differences between the JC5-129 non-cup and JC5-130 is the cruise control connection which I don't need so I guess I will tie wrap it out of the way or disconnect the lead if possible. Loolking forward to having a newer box cos I have treat the car with kid gloves at the mo which I hate! These cars are meant to be driven hard :)

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
"treat the car with kid gloves" lol
nice, never heard that before. no worries mate

Chears edde, jph172. I think the main differences between the JC5-129 non-cup and JC5-130 is the cruise control connection which I don't need so I guess I will tie wrap it out of the way or disconnect the lead if possible. Loolking forward to having a newer box cos I have treat the car with kid gloves at the mo which I hate! These cars are meant to be driven hard :)

The gearbox has nothing to do with crucie control only linked bit is the clutch pedal but that inside the cabin miles from the engine.

Welcome to the L4yer
Okay heres an update, car (Import 2002 Clio 172 FF) went into the garage today. When they compared my old gearbox with the low mileage second hand unit I had sourced they found that my old box had a speedo drive! This has buggered me up some what as I need the car on the road and currently the car is sitting on ramps with the engine on a stand. I also read the small print about the second hand box I have sourced I can't get a refund if the unit isn't faulty (fare enough). I am most likely now going get the garage to put a brand new Renault box as I can't afford to have the car of the road. This leaves me with a mint low mileage JC5-130 182 box to sell plus my old 172 FF box (JC5-129?) which has the speedo drive. Anyhow I should count myself lucky after reading what happened to Bash http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=278719. Now off to post gearboxes in "parts for sale", peace! Oh and just before I go I think the lesson to learned is not to cut costs because it will cost more in the long run (obvious I know) :(