ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Headlight Washers

dk

911 GTS Cab

they actually work by holding down the spray for more than a second, if you just pull the stalk back and let go, so its held on for less than a second it will only do the windsrcreen, but if you hold it back for 2 seconds say, it will them wash the headlights aswell (thats how it is on a 182 anyway)

Lee

BMW M2C

I hold mine down as short a time as possible. 1, because I dont like soaking the sides of my car with dirty screen water and 2, because its less chance of it blowing the ball out of the stalk again. lol

Renault Laguna Coupe

.... and after a few months theyll dribble water even when you dont want them to leaving you with a nice stain on your bumper :cry:

VaVa

Dont xenons need washers by law? Anyways, they are a pain in the arse. Leave horrible streaks all down the bumper/wings....

dk

911 GTS Cab

yes, they do, but the only time they are going to be checked is during an MOT which isnt going to be for a while.

Ford Fiesta

can you see these washer balls by looking any chance of a pic? just want to know if cisible to check if they are in, or are they going to fly out the first time they are used?

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine stayed in a good 9 months, then one morning I sprayed and only saw it splash against one light. At the next set of lights I tried it again and soaked the Mondeo in front.

You can miss it when they are missing, theyre pretty big and sit in the end of the headlamp washer stalk on the front bumper. Youll know when you loose one!!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 07 June 2004

Or a spot check by the police.... :p

Dave m8, nice avatar!! lol!! Cant fault you!!:D
i was upset earlier, i will change it again tomorrow, just wanted to make a point today

Funky - didnt like racing blue so I had it sprayed silver, took all the interior out (boy it was HOT today, wish id have kept the climate control, would have been so cool!) and put sh*tty tyres on in the hope that one day I too will be as fast and good as a 172 cup in my old 182.

I will probably put it back to normal though tomorrow once I have got over the events of today.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Funkyjahooner on 07 June 2004

For what reason do xenons need washers :confused:

Dave you racing blue 182 cup looks abit off colour :p
not sure on the technicalities of it but i just know that it is law for them to have them, i remember a car being released about a year ago (quite a big brand like BMW) and they had xenon lights but no washer and they all had to be recalled, I guess it isnt law on the continent maybe?

Probably something to do with the light being so concentrated the lend needs to be clean whereas with conventional headlights, because the light is projected from the whole lens, there is not so much need for a part of the lens to be clean? Just a guess?

Ford Fiesta

im sure i saw some "typical" looking xenons at the motorshow on certain cars that didnt have any washers, maybe these were imports.

dk

911 GTS Cab

a lot of cars now have the washers hidden in the bumper and they pop up to spray, even cars like the new mini have this feature, maybe thats why they were difficult to spot

you need to have washers if you have xenons.... why? because if the glass is clean... the light from the xenons lights the road ahead... if the glass is not clean...then your xenons will "trow" the light in all the directions... including in the other drivers eyes... so if u dont have washers and you have xenons...you will harm the other drivers...

i know that my english sucks,but i hope that you understand the idea :D

VaVa

Loud and clear m8... Your English is better than some of the English people who post on here!!

I honestly dont think the washers are that effective. They are certainly not going to shift all the bugs plastered to my headlights.....

Ford Fiesta

yeah I understand. However if like me you are never going to use the washers other than when setting/checking to see if windscreen jets are alligned correctly for fear of balls flying out then drivers will dtill be blinded.

OK, one of the balls has come out of my washer jet and Ive just bought a replacement. How do I change it???

Ive tried twisting the one thats in there and pulling on it but no joy as yet, has anyone else already done this and if so please help me!!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

damo748, i think its a bumper removal job! (No Joke!), i have had three fall out so far, and Renault have replaced them each time under warranty, by the way ** for everyone else, mine have never leaked, no stains or marks on my bumper!!

[Edited by Gaz2130 on 08 June 2004 at 2:35pm]

Lee

BMW M2C

When mine came out, rather than have to worry about someone removing my bumper I just popped the new ball out of the new stalk and inserted it into the existing one. Its still there a good 5 months on.

I popped the new ball out with a kitchen knife. :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by damo748 on 08 June 2004

OK, one of the balls has come out of my washer jet and Ive just bought a replacement. How do I change it???

Ive tried twisting the one thats in there and pulling on it but no joy as yet, has anyone else already done this and if so please help me!!!

fraid thats a bumper off jobbie to refit the balls. Renault will do it for you under warranty. You can expect to be without the car for a few hours.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 08 June 2004

When mine came out, rather than have to worry about someone removing my bumper I just popped the new ball out of the new stalk and inserted it into the existing one. Its still there a good 5 months on.

how did you get it to stay in? Glue??

Lee

BMW M2C

No, I just popped it back in and its still there today!! Mad or what.

I know Pootle had to use a little super glue to hold hers in .

Mk2 172 (Silver)

Quote: Originally posted by damo748 on 08 June 2004

i reckon renault are now fitting the balls in tighter so they dont pop out because they know their faulty!!

i was told i had to take my car in to check whether or not this was a warranty job (this being the dealership i bought and service the car at!) and if it wasnt then it would end up costing me around £70 (for a £7 part)... because it is a bumper off job to fit the whole stalk!!

i decided they were trying to con me, and i would end up having to pay the money for the bumper off job so i bought the part....got it home and couldnt get the ball out!!

i tried, my dad tried, pete_172 tried!! in the end my dad managed to pop it out but had to wreck the hole the water comes through. soon fixed that but the ball then fitted really loosely into the old stalk so it had to be superglued in.

a lot of hassle for such a small ball!!

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

Yep, did exactly the same when mine went missing, still there after bout 3 months

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

When mine came out, rather than have to worry about someone removing my bumper I just popped the new ball out of the new stalk and inserted it into the existing one. Its still there a good 5 months on. I popped the new ball out with a kitchen knife. :oops:

done exactly the same thing and it still there over 8 months later..

I asked Renault to remove mine and put the caps on like Cups have, he then went into a long explanation of the law and why, bla bla bla...was so interesting, :sleep: I didnt hear a word he said....but that was probably coz of the Blue V6 behind him!!

Ford Fiesta

take it they anr teasy tomfix then? on my right one there is a slight crack/split just to the left of the ball, hence when squirts another stream flys off in the left direction. Still most on the light tho.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Sorry to raise an old thread but i thought it would be better than starting a new one!

One of my 182 headlight washers is more than dribbling, it is really leaking to the extent of emptying the whole tank in just a few days. Is this a problem with the actual ball, the stalk or just the whole thing ???

Cheers

Mo

One of my headlight washers has a crack in the plastic - but it doesnt seem to be dribbling.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by rcp_ on 06 October 2004

One of my headlight washers has a crack in the plastic - but it doesnt seem to be dribbling.
Ditto that.

I figured whilst its still there I shant worry about it.

I may get Renault to order a new one - presumably it would be covered under warrenty?

Id rather fit it myself though - cos they would probably end up scratching the bumper trying to change it.

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 06 October 2004

Sorry to raise an old thread but i thought it would be better than starting a new one!

One of my 182 headlight washers is more than dribbling, it is really leaking to the extent of emptying the whole tank in just a few days. Is this a problem with the actual ball, the stalk or just the whole thing ???

Cheers

Mo
Is it the washer ball leaking and not just the washer bottle??

Ive had 2 new bottles fitted in 12 months (common fault with 172) and 2 new washer balls. ( 1 each side).

either way all was covered under warrenty.