ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 K+n Apollo Problem ????

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Anybody help with a problem i've just had . I fitted a k+n apollo air filter today , just temporary to see how the car performed , took off the top of the 182's filter housing and took the filter out . I just connected the apollo filter up to the 90 degree bend and left it resting on top of the bottom half of the original filter housing .

Anyway , sounds fcukin loud , roars like a good un . I was out tonight having a quick blast when the engine cut out and wouldn't restart . There was a strongish smell of petrol under the bonnet .

I did the trick with the trip comp and it was showing a t for injection problem , reset it but still wouldn't fire up ,it was offering but sounded like there was no fuel getting through .

Called AA and the bloke was baffled , no fault codes stored , probably cos i'd reset em .Whilst i was waiting for the AA bloke to arrive i swapped the filter back to the original 182 but still no luck .

Just been towed home about 5 miles , after the AA bloke had gone i tried it and it fired up first time . He seemed to think that it was the crank sensor but his laptop had no info about the 182's engine .

Anybody had any problems similar with enclosed filters , like vipers , bmc's or k+n apollos ? By the way i didn't fit the cold air feed . The cars new , i've only done just over 2000 miles

Could it have been starved of air and getting to much fuel ? Anybody any ideas ??

A pic for anybody who hasn't seen a k+n apollo .

knapollo.jpg

Last edited:
  Shhh
I had one of these fitted to the 182.

You need to remove the airfilter and fit the thing directly into the pipe from the injection, and run a cold air feedpipe to behind the left headlamp.

Had no issues with the car, so guess its cuz of the airbox.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I connected it up to the original renault 90 degree elbow , and left it resting on top of the bottom half of the old air filter casing . Did you remove the original air feeds and acoustic valve ?

Iwas just trying it to see how it sounded . You think if i run the cold air feed to the front it will be ok , could it have been starved of air the way i did it ?

By the way , how does yours sound ? Hell of a roar from mine when you hit 4000 revs .

Shhh
Same filter.

Airbox removed completely. Air hose to rear of headlamp removed, one to bumper tucked out way. Filter supported via bracket to engine, and old air feed taken from behind headlamp zip tied into place.

nice roar.... ;) try find pics

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
AliasOmega said:
Same filter.

Airbox removed completely. Air hose to rear of headlamp removed, one to bumper tucked out way. Filter supported via bracket to engine, and old air feed taken from behind headlamp zip tied into place.

nice roar.... ;) try find pics

Cheers mate ! If you have some pics it would be appreciated :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
:bump: Anybody else had any problems like this with enclosed filters , or any ideas why the engine died and wouldn't start up again ?

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
I don't think the problem is related to the filter at all.

Does sound like a crank sensor problem

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Why do ya think it could be the crank sensor ? The car was fine until yesterday when i fitted the k+n , its running ok today now the original filters back on .

I was thinking it might have been over fueling and the plugs had got wet ?

I thought maybe somebody else on here had fitted an enclosed filter like a Viper ,bmc or k+n with no air feed and might have had a problem .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If it was the coil pack surely it would still be fcuked now ? Its running ok now with the renault air box back on .

So if there wasn't enough air getting into the engine because there was no cold air feed, would it still put the same amount of fuel in ? Thats the only thing i can think of , plus the code fault was t for the injectors . I've emailed k+n about the problem but not heard anything back from them yet .

I just don't want to risk pulling out all the renault airbox , pipes etc and running a cold air feed to find out that i'm gonna have the same problem again in the future .

Luckily i was only driving down a b road when the engine packed up , could have been nasty if i was on the motorway doin' 80 when it died on me :eek:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
:bump: Nobody else any ideas why it would cause the engine to cut out and not restart ? Its still running ok with the original Renault filter back in place .

Still waiting for a reply from k+n , gonna phone em tomorrow if they don't reply .

Tesla MP3 2021
ive got an apollo on my 182 and never had any probs..
it sounds v strange tbh mate..
here is mine in my 182 .

CIMG0150.jpg

CIMG0151.jpg

the sound is awesome from these things and i very pleased seems as it was free:):)

are you sure there was nothing blocking the flow inside the apollo...
because the air feed shouldnt be a problem anyways as mine currrently has no air atall as im going to puta new 1 in and the unit gets plenty of air

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nope , nothing blocked inside the apollo , i just jubilee clipped it onto the original 90 degree bend , rested the filter on top of the bottom half of the original airbox . Both the original airfeeds were left in place also .

The only thing i can think of is that it was gettin starved of air or maybe too much warm air being sucked in and it wasn't adjusting the amount of fuel accordingly , so probably wet the spark plugs :S

I'll give k+n a bell tomorrow , see if they have any ideas . Are you gonna run your cold air feed to the grill ?? I'm just a bit put off taking out all the old filter case , pipes , fcukin about running it to the grill if the engine might cut out again , then i'll have done all that work just to have to swap it all back again , lol .

It certainly puzzled me this one , and the AA guy as well , lol .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
gt_gaz said:
did you blank off the vaccum hose from the inlet?

Nope , didn't blank off any hoses , just attached the k+n filter onto the original 90 degree bend as i was just seeing how the car ran with the filter on temporarily .

Which vacuum hose do you mean exactly , the one running to the acoustic valve ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
ah, well if it was still connected to the valve then it would have been ok

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
gt_gaz said:
ah, well if it was still connected to the valve then it would have been ok

What difference will it make disconnecting the pipe to the acoustic valve , as i've seen alot of people say just remove the valve and blank of the hose .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if you dissconnect the vac pipe to the valve, it causes an air to leak into the inlet that hasn't passed through the filter,, wich in turn creates erratic idle etc. This pipe must be blanked when removing the acoustic valve

maybe you fault is the dreaded temp sensor 182's seem to suffer, iirc the sensor wires are under the filter box.....possibly been disturbed? did you notice the temp needle jump about etc?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
gt_gaz said:
if you dissconnect the vac pipe to the valve, it causes an air to leak into the inlet that hasn't passed through the filter,, wich in turn creates erratic idle etc. This pipe must be blanked when removing the acoustic valve

maybe you fault is the dreaded temp sensor 182's seem to suffer, iirc the sensor wires are under the filter box.....possibly been disturbed? did you notice the temp needle jump about etc?

Nope , the car ran fine during the day after i fitted the k+n , only covered about 15 miles but never noticed a difference in how the car ran except obviously from the noise of the new filter . Was running fine right up until the engine cut out as well , no coughin or spluttering or any other indication that there was a problem , one min i was driving the next i was sittin at the side of the road with a dead engine , that refused to start again .

Are you running a different filter on your gaz ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yeah i did run a viper for a wee bit, no major running problems, just wasn't impressed with it, i now run an itg panel filter with the cold airfeed (from the viper) I have removed the acoustic valve and cut the feed into the airbox. The feed is ran into the passenger arch lining