ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Misfire after garage work

Hi.

Just had my car out of the garage yesterday. They've changed the oil and filter, as well as spark plugs.

Today is the first day I've driven it. The car runs fine until it's warm (10-15 mins) then develops a horrible misfire (I think), it's seriously noisy, down on power and struggles to pull off.

The exhaust system seems to be giving of an alarming amount of heat as well(at the back of the engine bay).

Any idea what the problem is? I can't get in touch with them today and I'm really not happy as it stands

Thanks, Dan

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wrong spark plugs ?

HTs in the wrong order ?

Take the inlet off, check the order is correct on the leads (no.1 cyl is driver side, no.4 is by the box IIRC) and make sure they used the right sparks. There is only one brand/type to use...

NGK PFR6E-10

Spark plugs are definitely the right ones I supplied the parts myself after checking on here first.

I don't really have a clue what I'm looking at under the bonnet if I'm honest. Is that something I could check easily?

Do the symptoms sound like it's something they've done incorrectly?

Thanks

(I'm seriously regretting not going to birchdown again, though it'd be trouble free at my local with such a simple job)

Lionel Richie
its possible somehting has broken, but after just coming out of a garage? its a 50/50 one!

easy to do, there is a (long winded) gudie on here

you need 1 x flat blade screw driver
1 x 10mm socket/extension/rachet

and thats it

7 x 10mm bolts, few connectors (be careful) and the plenum comes off and you can get to the plugs

Been back to the garage and he says there is a hole in a HT lead(how he's only just spotted this I have no idea), which is sparking onto the block(he said this is common fault?)

Anyone ever heard of this happening and does it sound like that's the issue?

Now Sold :-(
Been back to the garage and he says there is a hole in a HT lead(how he's only just spotted this I have no idea), which is sparking onto the block(he said this is common fault?)

Anyone ever heard of this happening and does it sound like that's the issue?

I'd put money on them having pinched the HT lead between the plenum and rocker cover when putting the plenum back on.
Ask them to cover the cost of replacement. Were there any running issues when you took it in?