ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 MOT fail

Took my 182 for mot earlier and failed!

HiD washers i can fix myself, but emissions was the other fail, i have put some Forte Engine Cleaner in the garage gave me but if it doesnt help i will just get a new Cat, any recomendations on Decent Cats that arnt overpriced?? I hear Genuine ones are stupidly priced.

Any help much apreciated.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Bet is a lamda issue, you need to see some live data of the upstream and downstream sensors.

Had you gotten the car nice and warm before presenting it for test? Might sounds to simple but often a quick hard blast in a car may clear it up ! If HC is dead high obviously it isn't going to fix it but without seeing the results I'm guessing !

You can normally pick up cats from £50-£100 ! I looked at one on eBay for £99 it's patern but it'll do to get it pass if it is the cat of course

yeah Beasley i agree any old cat will do to get it through the emissions test. No i like about 2 mins fron the station, but they said they warmed it up befor testing to try get it to pass, but i will take it down the road and blast it befor the retest next sat.

il get a pic of the reading up later as im off out and in a bit of a rush as i couldnt get the bloody front wiper arms off coz the corrosion :(

yeah Beasley i agree any old cat will do to get it through the emissions test. No i like about 2 mins fron the station, but they said they warmed it up befor testing to try get it to pass, but i will take it down the road and blast it befor the retest next sat.

il get a pic of the reading up later as im off out and in a bit of a rush as i couldnt get the bloody front wiper arms off coz the corrosion :(

Haha chances are it'll pass , they warm it up by leaving it idling which does collect a little more in the exhaust give it some welly before the test make sure it's hot enough to be on the warm map on the engine as cold the engine is set to slightly over fuel !

I regularly have cars in with the same thing ! Worth a shot before you spend your pennies ! The test centre can put it on the emissions machine BEFORE logging it on as a re test , so if its still obviously going to fail , you dont have to use your free retest ! ( if they are a good garage) which they prob will if you say you've used there cleaner !

Right i just got in and had a proper read of the Fail and they have the engine down as a M4R which is the 138 thats in the scenics if i remember right, not the F4R in clios, so am i right that the emission tolerances are different??? Pretty annoyed since i trusted this garage and they cant even get the right engine for my car.

MOT.jpg

Dunno if this helps or if its even correct tolerances.

Can someone tell me if the Limits for each category are correct for a 182 in the pic above, spoke to the garage today and they said the engine doesnt matter and its to do with the year for the emissions limit, yet the other car in our house is a 54 plate also and the limits are higher and its only a 1.8 mg zs.

Basically want to know if their talking utter s**t? I dont want to be spending money i dont need to if they have got it wrong.

Can someone tell me if the Limits for each category are correct for a 182 in the pic above, spoke to the garage today and they said the engine doesnt matter and its to do with the year for the emissions limit, yet the other car in our house is a 54 plate also and the limits are higher and its only a 1.8 mg zs.

Basically want to know if their talking utter s**t? I dont want to be spending money i dont need to if they have got it wrong.

They are normally the same for most cars after 2001-2002 that it ! Mg should be the same really mate ! Have you asked them to try the exhaust after a good beating ?

ok cheers, wel the mg has lest strict emissions than my car wtf?!
I will get them to try it when i drop it off sat morning after a good 30 mins blast so shall be piping hot :)

If no join then looks like a sports cat will be in order, might aswell if im getting itbs. More air in more air out :)

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
looks like they have only done a BET test even with the figures you got you still wouldnt pass a full test on idle needs to be below 0.50% for co.

the car was hot enough the cat are working fine or it wouldnt of passed the fast idle.

has the car been remaped? dose the engine idle ok?

ive not had it remapped, and i dont think it has been previously, it idles fine, but its 98k miles and was a town car so short journeys, so the cat might be on its way out.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
when was the last time the oil and plugs was changed?

get them to check the emissions on a non mot program so you can see what the hc and lambda are doing on idle if they wont then
take it for a drive and get them to do a full cat test on it see if it will go through as i gives more time to take a reading.
some cars take a while for the readings to settle from fast idle test to idle test.

if the cat was on its way out it woudnt of past the bet test they would of had to do a full test 3-5mins of warm up then a fast idle test if it fails then a 2nd fast idle test. yours past the fast idle test fine and is a very low reading same with the hc and lambda spot on.

Oil was done in feb and plugs befor i owned the car when cambelt was done in 2010, since them in not sure, but it might be worth replacing them.

I will try get them to do the things you have suggested but cannot guarantee it, after all im a 20 year old kid which they wont listen to, like no garage does.
Whats a BET test? I know the mechanical side of things but absolutely nothing about mots.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
BET test is a basic emission test has a lower limit to pass and is a lot faster to do.
​if it fails the BET test then you carry out a full cat test where you input the car and get the correct values for the car normally higher each part of the full test take longer to do and also include a warm up time get two chances at fast idle test and a longer time for the car to idle for readings to be taken.

BG FF182
Right i just got in and had a proper read of the Fail and they have the engine down as a M4R which is the 138 thats in the scenics if i remember right, not the F4R in clios, so am i right that the emission tolerances are different??? Pretty annoyed since i trusted this garage and they cant even get the right engine for my car.

View attachment 96274

Dunno if this helps or if its even correct tolerances.

Just found my MOT certificate from when it was done in Feb, the RPM limits are different to yours at 2500 to 3000rpm for fast idle and 450 to 1500rpm on natural idle. The CO, HC and ^ Limits are the same.

Not sure if it helps but my HC reading was 13ppm compared to 71ppm on yours. I know it's well within the limit but seems a largish difference to the untrained eye.

Hmmm thanks Mate, nice to know results of another 182, shall see saturday what happens.

Cooksports arrived today so will be sticking them on asap, you got your New Yozza yet?

BG FF182
Hmmm thanks Mate, nice to know results of another 182, shall see saturday what happens.

Cooksports arrived today so will be sticking them on asap, you got your New Yozza yet?

Wasn't sure whether comparing results would help or not, my exhaust was blowing at the time just after the centre silencer, not sure if that would make any difference to the results though. Hope you get it sorted soon!!

Yep had it fitted just over fortnight, and it's spot on!!! I put some photos on facebook and the in BTM trader section, also had an arb and snappy re-trimmed wheel too :)

My centre section is blowing too, but thats normal from a ktec exhaust it seems. I hope its sorted soon too.

Yeah i just read 'BTM'd BG FF182' oops lol. Glad to hear its all good, il have to have a look at the pics, not to noisey then?? Hows the arb, feel much different?? Snappy re-trims are very nice, just need to get everything else sorted then i will get one too i think :)

Clio 182
my co emmisons on decat are rediculous but im lucky enough to find friendly mot stations, yours puts mine to shame ;)