ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 MPG trip computer

Focus RS, 182 gone
When iv got the trip on my 182 set to mpg, it hardly ever changes, makes no differance iff i boot it or drive slow, its always around 30mpg, it seem to hardly ever update. Has anyone else noticed this?:banghead:

Mondeo STTDCI
Fill up with Petrol and reset the mile counter. Will tell you how many miles you get to a tank. I have to really try to get 300. :(

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah if it hasnt been reset for a while it does seem to stick on the same reading...

Focus ST
It's because it gives an average MPG reading since the last time it was reset, therefore once you've clocked up a lot of miles without resetting it will take quite a bit of driving away from this average MPG figure to change the reading.

Reset it and watch how quickly it initially changes, depending on your driving style, then the more miles you do, the less frequently it appears to adjust as your MPG averages out.

Black/Gold 182
you press the reset button under the dials on the dash. Once resets some of the data, twice resets all of it.

I reset all at every fill up. I get about 32 in normal driving (mostly short runs), up to 36+ on motorways. I also find that if you do a hand calc, the trip computer is usually wrong. Typically the real mpg is about 1-2 mpg less than the computer would have you think.

I usually get around 300 miles to a tank, maybe another 40 with motorway driving. I'm never really sure how much is left though TBH. My fuel gauge doesn't move for 40 miles, then goes down a quarter in about the next 500 yards, then sticks for a bit and then drops another quarter. It's all over the place!

Red Clio 197 F1
I get around 31mpg and reset it every month - just to keep an eye out for major changes.

I used to work near Oxford and the whole journey was 50 miles per hour and 45 mins each way so I'd get silly MPG of around 42 mpg but now that I work in St Albans and loads of stop / start / thrash / stop etc it has made a real difference.

GP2
Does anyone find that the mpg on the dash is actually much higher than the actual(calcultated manually) mpg?

MINI JCW
rich_h said:
Does anyone find that the mpg on the dash is actually much higher than the actual(calcultated manually) mpg?

Dont find it much higher but it is always slightly higher than when calculated, usually by about 1 or 2 mpg

Focus RS, 182 gone
really its a bit toss then, cus on the vw golf and other cars, its constantly updating every frew minutes

It should be acurate the MPG as its based on the ECU injection quantities. Mines accurate to about minus half a percent thats over 15k or so of driving comparing fuel put in the tank with fuel purchased (I was a bit bored so I logged it)

Black/Gold 182
it does update constantly - it just gets it wrong as far as I'm concerned. If I take the amount of fuel put in at the pump (fill to full, drive, then fill to full again) and use the mileage from the speedo, I never get the same mpg as the trip computer, always less.

I've got a phd in chemical engineering so I'm pretty confident in my maths, although that is relying on both the pump (to say how many litres) and the car (for the mileage reading) and one (or both) might be incorrect

azzer2000 said:
really its a bit toss then, cus on the vw golf and other cars, its constantly updating every frew minutes
Thats a contant adverager not a total adverager although I think VAGS have both a short and a long term ie since reset adverager.
Still its not bad it works on Clios what else do you want.

JBarber - Humm thats got to be my worst ever.
Its hsould read
Thats a constant adverager not a total adverager. I think VAG's have both a short and a long term adverager ie they have one which works on the adverage after a few minutes and one which adverages since last time the trip is reset.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I always reset the trip when I am at the petrol station just after I have filled it up. That way I find it gives most accurate readings per tank of petrol.
I can get about 240ish miles before the light comes on (town driving) and seem to average about 32ish mpg per tank of fuel. Of course this will all vary for most of us slightly depending on where we drive, distance and what type of road/traffic conditions.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
i read in the manual that there was supposed to be an instantaneous mpg read out as one of the options when cycling through the trip computer, but it isn't there! i think it is after how miles you have left.

anyone know anymore about this?

polarbert said:
i read in the manual that there was supposed to be an instantaneous mpg read out as one of the options when cycling through the trip computer, but it isn't there! i think it is after how miles you have left.

anyone know anymore about this?
Thats an error Uk cars don't have it.