ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Not turning over

106 GTI
Just had to leave the car in a car park :(

Its about the 3rd time it has happened, turn the ignition on wait for imobiliser light to go out turn the key and nothing.

I can hear the fuel pump prime and also get a click from under the passenger side dash.

I cleaned the TDC sensor last time using WD40 and also this time, but this time it hasnt worked.

Can anyone recomend what to do tomorrow? New battery and another go at cleaning the TDC?

Clio 172
does it turn over at all?

lol just read title, the tdc problems ive had they turn over and dont fire. my mates 172 needed a starter on it when it done that

Last edited:
  106 GTI
Is there no way of checking the starter motor?

It feels asif though something is kicking in to stop it attempting to start

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Starter motor. are the dash lights bright while cranking. immob light going off ok? do the dails do anything silly while starting

RSC 182 Cup
Can you hear the starter motor solenoid throwing out? Sounds like it might not be activating?

Sometimes thumping the solenoid with something solid while someone holds the key in the START position will bring them to life (if that is the problem?)

ITB'd 182...
Can you hear the starter motor solenoid throwing out? Sounds like it might not be activating?

Sometimes thumping the solenoid with something solid while someone holds the key in the START position will bring them to life (if that is the problem?)

this would involve 2 people then?

need a hand craig?

106 GTI
Well just been out this morning and got a new battery to eliminate that problem.

Its definately something to do with the starter motor as the car bump started, all the dials etc illuminate fine and act as normal, the tripcomputer dosnt reset.

Is the solenoid built into the starter motor or can they be purchased seperate?
I think its cold influenced

106 GTI
Just got off the phone ;
£120.93 for a starter motor (Bosch)
£122 Labour

Also the solenoid is built in

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Garages LOVE to charge nowadays dont they - sooo glad I do all of my work myself on my ramps! LOL!

Connections on the back of the starter motor - these wont affect anything else other than the starter motor from functioning. Battery connections you'd be surprised what happens if they are just a little loose.

PH1 172, E39
I had this similar problem just recently.
I ended up buying a new starter and the problem was gone.
Just last weekend the TDC Sensor started to act up. Seems yuh does have to change the harness and the sensor, as I was told by my mechanic, during the car's life.

RB 182 Cup
put a jump pack on it and start it up. most probably a dead battery. Does it click to turn on but the starter motor sounds like its jammed up? Thats the battery dead

106 GTI
Battery is fine its something to do with the starter motor, had a new battery the same day to no effect.

As of now if it reoccurs il just keep bumping it, only started happening when it gets really cold

www.renparts.co.uk
we have used motors in stock, 45 + Delivery with solenoid, or solenoid on its own for 20 + Delivery, 3 months warranty on either.