ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 on 3 cylinders, suspected injector

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Yesterday, as soon as I started the car it was running like a diesel generator. Also, during certain points on the journey the emissions light would flash for a bit then go off. This morning I checked all the plugs and they all looked perfectly fine (not that old, if anything). I pulled off the leads one at a time at the coil pack end, and 1, 2 and 4 all made the engine run worse, but number 3 made no difference. There was a good spark coming off the coil pack for each one so don't think it's that.

This leaves me thinking it's the injector. I've run out of time to tackle it today so thought I'd ask how difficult it is to check the injectors. Fuel rail guard off, anything else need doing? Also what's the general procedure for checking them?

Cheers guys!

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
My apologies. I had searched and had a lot of posts saying 'check the injectors' or dead ends with no one ever saying how they solved the problem, but nothing that went it any specifics of how exactly to 'check the injectors'. I know as far as take the fuel rail guard off, but what then?

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
It's always number 3
Haha, yeah all the topics I'd seen had people suspecting it was number 3. Any reason for that?!

What method would you recommend using to check for sure before replacing it?

Easy way to do it is remove the fuel line with injectors . Maybe point them at bit cardboard and give quick turn over of ignition and see whst ones not fired .

Just enough to turn car over , don't want petrol everywhere . They aren't thst powerful anyway and only spray a little . Plenty other ways to test but I find thst simple

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Perfect, thanks very much! I'll give that a go and see what happens. If it is the injector, where would you recommend getting one from?

Be careful unclipping the fuel rail from the supply it's tight to get at and fragile and then make sure it clicks when clipping it back on . The little red rubber ring make sure it's in place .

172 Cup
If you have a multimeter you can test the injector if you set the meter to measure resistance then put the probes on the terminals of the injector the faulty one should have a much higher resistance than all the others there is a specific reading the injector should be I think it is about 16 ohms when I tested mine the faulty one was about 20 ohms more than the others.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Thanks both, I have got a multimeter so shall take a look with that. Also cheers for all your advice briv6, will check out renparts!