ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 on last legs...

Mondeo STTDCI
Its one thing having a car that you love with a few minor niggles. Because you love it you are willing to forego all the beer and nights out and the little things, because you have this big thing in your life that you are totally in love with.

But when it starts playing up, you start to resent it big time. When Renault dont help, you just want out. Has nearly happened to me a few times. I now have a creaking sound on my OSF wheel. Think its a wheel bearing. But I totally dread taking it into Renault. So I resent the car at the minute.

Focus RS, 182 gone
Dave said:
Its one thing having a car that you love with a few minor niggles. Because you love it you are willing to forego all the beer and nights out and the little things, because you have this big thing in your life that you are totally in love with.

Yeah, i know whay u mean

Nissan 350Z
If you really wanna save money, then I'd be looking for a second hand TDI of some description for less than the price you get.

Doing what you are planning is not going to make a huge difference TBH.

A VW Lupo 1.4 TDI Sport / Seat Arosa 1.4 TDI Sport will both do 70 MPG on a run. OK its a diesel, but it can also be chipped to 100 bhp and 180 lb ft torque - decent performance, group 4 insurance, 70 MPG!!! Cheap to buy and run, probably not been thrashed. You'd have change from the amount you get for your car. These cars will have done most of their depreciating. You are proposing to buy a car, which may not be that much better on fuel, and WILL depreciate more than a 182 in the longer term.

Your idea makes no sense. Buy a cheap VAG diesel, like the one I said, and it will make a BIG difference. Thats what I'd do if I were you.

I'm in a kinda similar situation but I do around 200 - 250 miles a week max. Also I used to waste a lot of money - going to KFC or Burger King at dinnertimes - started bringing my own food/drink/sweeties in. Much cheaper. £70 a month phone bill! f**k me that is a lot. Mine is about a fiver.

Shhh
I had a 1.2 16v clio. Was happy with that car. Gf's dad owns the car. Still going strong. Sold it him when i bought the 182. Managed on less cash for about the same miles in that car, so cant see how i cant manage now. Well maybe a extra 80mile. Tho the car was more economical so cant see it mattering. Just look at the 182 now and starting to hate it.

Nissan 350Z
Yes but why "just manage" when you could buy something far cheaper and more economical [than the car you are considering] and do better than "just manage".

Focus RS, 182 gone
Most people buy a car of their choice, because it says something about who they are, like a status thing. If u dont give a f*ck about that, then get the diesel. and i even spelt it right lol

Focus RS, 182 gone
Just buy a saxo VTS then, similar performance and ull like the running cost, oh and u can pay ur credit cards off, and bank some cash, job done

1.5dci
azzer2000 said:
Most people buy a car of their choice, because it says something about who they are, like a status thing. If u dont give a f*ck about that, then get the diesel. and i even spelt it right lol

:rofl:

If it was a status thing for me, Id be going to work on a skateboard :eek:

1.5dci
AliasOmega said:
lol...diesel is out the budget. About £8k is what i have...

Clio is going...just what i get is now the question.

Got my 54 plate diesel clio for 6k, 17000 miles and should get 60mpg, and has the familiar clio drive to it :)

Nissan 350Z
Clio 182 @ 30 MPG - 18000 miles = 600 gallons * 4.54 = 2724 litres @ 93.9p (optimax) = £2557 a year or £213 a month.

VAG 1.4 TDI @ 70 MPG - 18000 miles = 257 gallons * 4.54 = 1166 litres @ 91.9p (shell diesel) = £1072 a year or £89 a month.

SAVING = £124 a month.

I'm taking very rough guesses here, but insurance would be a third of the price, so assuming you pay £600 a year for the Clio it'd be £200 a year for the TDI - another £33 a month - thats £150. Tax will be cheaper too... maybe another tenner.

Then if you got a car worth less than your Clio, then you'd have the difference between the two cars - pay off all credit cards and overdraft and maybe have some to put away for maintenance.

£8500 brand new Clio probably worth 40% of its original value at the most after 3 years - thats less than £4k.... probably more like £3k TBH with high mileage. Evo article on 182 suggests the values bottom out at £4k-£5k.

Focus RS, 182 gone
pbirkett said:
Clio 182 @ 30 MPG - 18000 miles = 600 gallons * 4.54 = 2724 litres @ 93.9p (optimax) = £2557 a year or £213 a month.

VAG 1.4 TDI @ 70 MPG - 18000 miles = 257 gallons * 4.54 = 1166 litres @ 91.9p (shell diesel) = £1072 a year or £89 a month.

SAVING = £124 a month.

I'm taking very rough guesses here, but insurance would be a third of the price, so assuming you pay £600 a year for the Clio it'd be £200 a year for the TDI - another £33 a month - thats £150. Tax will be cheaper too... maybe another tenner.

Then if you got a car worth less than your Clio, then you'd have the difference between the two cars - pay off all credit cards and overdraft and maybe have some to put away for maintenance.

£8500 brand new Clio probably worth 40% of its original value at the most after 3 years - thats less than £4k.... probably more like £3k TBH with high mileage. Evo article on 182 suggests the values bottom out at £4k-£5k.

WOW, that guy is bored

Mondeo STTDCI
Alias....McBunny is selling his diesal Fabia VRS for 8.5k. That would be my choice in all honesty.

Shhh
Tho i have a bike aswell, want a tow bar so i can do track days. Have a tent so need bigger space. Want a cheaper to run car as the car i have now is only used on the weekends for 2 journeys, not a status, something that gets thrashed continously. Always seeing 100mph in 4th gear..seen flat out twice..

nice car, just not for me. I want cheapy cheap cheap....have what the car is worth to shop with. Any cash i have is going on c/c and o/d.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you say you do sometimes 20-30mph over the speedlimit so say you sit at 100mph on the motorway a 1.2 would be at 5000rpm (dont know about a 1.4) so its going to be drinking petrol too!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
from another thread...

just done a 170 mile trip round the m25 and the M1, done it many times in my 172 and can get 40mpg

did it earlier tonight in a coutersy car 1.2 16v extreme 4 (nice tho) and only got 37.8 mpg...

just drove the same, was at around 70-80 most of the way..

any reason for this, thought the 1.2 would be loads better than the 2.0l

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
something not right there, my missus' 1.6 dynamique can easily get 45mpg on a motorway run

Well if you had some self control, you would be seeing much better MPG out of the 182. but as you say you cant drive it slow, then get a diesel. Using the price as an excuse is crap, as you can pick up a nice diesel for £8k. And if you are worried about the price of the car in a few years, then what the hell are you looking at another renault for? They drop in price as someone said, "faster than a w*ores knickers"

If you want a car that will still be worth something in a couple of years, then a VAG is the way to go. 182's seem to be holding their price fairly well at the moment, but the lower range models have no residuals at all, as soon as your drive them away.

Be sensible and get the diesel if you ask me. But its your choice i suppose.

Nissan 350Z
VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group

In other words, anything from Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW with the addition of IIRC, Bentley, Bugatti and Lamborghini.

Black/Gold 182
If you've got £8K you'll find a diesel easy. We bought a 5 door Civic 53 plate with 8000 miles for £9K a year ago. Drives like a bus, is as big a bus, but does 450 miles on £32 of diesel. It's fine as an A->B car.

If the 182 you have is rubbish and Renault have been crap, then you need you head examined if you buy another car from them.

Last edited:
I have had the same poor reliability as you. Constant problems since buying the car in October 2004. I had a 172 before hand and had same reliability issues. I can honestly say I will never buy a Renault again. Don't get me wrong the car is a lot of fun and is a performance bargain. I will be selling my 182 in October to buy a new Focus ST3. Hopefully i will not be dissapointed!