ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 on Top Gear

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

oooh that tie made you cheeky.

The top gear track is odd imho it seems to shame big performance cars yet the slr managed to blitz everything?

Anyway well done to renault, £50 says people start moaning that the cup aint been round and would be quicker. But its a good result, more sales more members. great stuff.

I thought they said the stig was convinced he could get the v6 to go round faster than the time he set and kept going out and trying, but as it was raining he kept spinning it.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 10 June 2004

I thought they said the stig was convinced he could get the v6 to go round faster than the time he set and kept going out and trying, but as it was raining he kept spinning it.
yeah thats right, I am a bit weary of driving mine fast in the rain because of that..lol

mind you it grips very well in the dry :)

simon.

E39 M5

I was at the filming yesterday and the review they gave it was good, Clarkson moaned about the "french" Build quality ie the parcel shelf was thin !! and a few bits were plastic (wings and the interior)..............But loved the drive and was well impressed. The timed lap was brilliant as said previously it spent most of it on 3 wheels. Overall he sumed up that for the money it was a cracking little car.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 09 June 2004

thats an ace time, whos gonna be first to post it on the CTR forums... hehe
You apparently... ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 10 June 2004

oooh that tie made you cheeky.

The top gear track is odd imho it seems to shame big performance cars yet the slr managed to blitz everything?

Anyway well done to renault, £50 says people start moaning that the cup aint been round and would be quicker. But its a good result, more sales more members. great stuff.
Its interesting you say that Tom beacuse the cup went faster around bedford than the M3 but slower than the CTR, I think it all depends on track conditions on the day and probbaly tyre choice!

GR7

Shiny red R32

I thought that on Top Gear the cars travel anti-clockwise around their track but I noticed last week that Johnny Vaughan appeared to be going the other way for much of the time!

Why do bikes and cars race clockwise round the tracks? Or are there any exceptions?

Quote: Originally posted by Bradfordlad on 10 June 2004

good V6 vid that, amzing if 182 gets that this time innit, its right up there!(y)

Yeah it is, shame the v6 was in the pouring rain would have loved to have seen what "The Stig" could have done in the dry??

could have knocked a good few seconds of the 1:36.2 me thinks.. :)

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 10 June 2004
I thought that on Top Gear the cars travel anti-clockwise around their track but I noticed last week that Johnny Vaughan appeared to be going the other way for much of the time!Why do bikes and cars race clockwise round the tracks? Or are there any exceptions?

ive only ever seen them go one way! never seen one go the opposite way!

I thought that on Top Gear the cars travel anti-clockwise around their track but I noticed last week that Johnny Vaughan appeared to be going the other way for much of the time!

Why do bikes and cars race clockwise round the tracks? Or are there any exceptions?
Interlagos (Brazil)

Donnington Park (Good old Blighty) ......NOPE

San Marino (Italy)

Just to name three a few are all anti-clockwise tracks!

[Edited by Paul_G on 10 June 2004 at 11:00pm]

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 10 June 2004

Its interesting you say that Tom beacuse the cup went faster around bedford than the M3 but slower than the CTR,
Really... ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by ClioDan on 10 June 2004

ive only ever seen them go one way! never seen one go the opposite way!
Its a figure-8 track.

When you compare 1.33.8 to the following...

Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1

And consider theres less that 5secs in it, im well impressed for such an affordable car! :eek:

^^^ agree.. + add trafic on roads and all cars are even ! hehe, so for the sake of five seconds on a track people will pay three times the ammount for a car that they cant exploite on the road more than a car like the 182.

(BTW.. wasnt the evo 1 posistion behind the lambourghini galardo and that was in FQ-300 form... the Fq-340 would probably match the gallardo or even beat it ! ! all for 27K !!! only point having a super car is to show off.. and real car enthusiats arent into showing off)

its all relative.

:D

[Edited by cliotuRS on 11 June 2004 at 11:39am]

The V6 255 would Im afraid go a fair bit faster than the 182 in the dry, cant really compare wet times, an FRS went slower/or same around bedford than a 106 GTI only beacuse the FRS was in the rain

172, Tiguan

It has been mentioned that Perry McCarthy tested the CTR, not the new Stig.

There lies a variable.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 11 June 2004

It has been mentioned that Perry McCarthy tested the CTR, not the new Stig.

There lies a variable.
The Top Gear times are hardly scientific...

Too many variables to make an accurate comparison, there are so many things that can affect the times!

test all cars with same rubber on same dry day with same driver and take best of 3 runs, oh and dont feed said driver until afterwards!

ok.. its not really about pure performance its about driving pleasure with these cars..... you dont buy a 360modena or STI/EVO for "a trip to the shops" :). And the 182Clio maybe indeed faster or slower than a CTR but id rather own the car that gave me the best feel inside. could be the feedback, sharpens of turn or fluidity of gearchange.. perhaps just the sound it makes. really important if your are a car enthusiast (which lets face it we all are) to enjoy the experience not compare to other cars.

for my money the 182 /172MKI 172MKII are all very involving, tricky but rewarding cars to drive.

BTW why cant we have seats like the CTR, scooby etc..

[Edited by cliotuRS on 11 June 2004 at 12:55pm]

[Edited by cliotuRS on 11 June 2004 at 12:56pm]

Yeah, supercars are all well and good but way too intimidating to drive. If you watch Clarksons Shootout you will find he crowns the VX220 Turbo the most fun you can have in a car. I totally agree, it looks mental thru the bends! Strapping Turbod 200BHP to an improved lotus chassis and a car that weighs as much as..well...the average cardboard box is about as fun as you can get.

Although value doesnt come into it that much, 0-60 in 4secs for £20K is fapping unreal!

The new VXR does it less than 4!! :eek:

And the best thing is, it doesnt say vauxhall on it anywhere heheh ;)