ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 or cooper s?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Ive had my mind set on the 182 for a while now but...

I have now been swayed by the cooper s... + ive already owned a 1.2 16v and a 1.6 16v clio.

Opinions?

There is ultimatly NO difference in price. Im led to belive the cooper s is 163bhp is that correct?

Mountune Tractor
There is a big difference in price if you are going for a same spec/same age model.

Ultimately you would have to drive both and then decide for yourself but if it was me I'd save myself a bit of cash and go for the 182.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
hmmm tbf this is a clio site so most peeps will prob sway to the clio, i dunno, i just feel the mini is a bit more... grown up? abit nicer?

Mountune Tractor
I used to own a 172 and now 'the mrs' has a cooper s that I end up driving more than her, lol. If it was my money I would buy the 182 but I do love the cooper s aswell.
They are similar in speed and fuel economy.

Mountune Tractor
Have you driven the 182 or mini yet?
I think you'll find a big difference in a RS to a 1.2/1.6

Mountune Tractor
Test them both and see which you prefer.
If you do end up going with the mini though, take your time and find the perfect model. We took about 3 months to find the exact spec/colour/interior we wanted but it was well worth it. We had 2 vouchers in the service pack left as well, well worth looking out for considering BMW charge £100 an hour labour. The good ones always hold there value too.
I would avoid any of the very early models like the plague (2001-2002).

Mountune Tractor
Worth bearing in mind that the mini is only a 4 seater and the boot is about the size of my trouser pocket. Clio definitely wins on practicality.

clio 172
BMW MINI Hardly Break down so i would go for a Mini and to top it off i work at the Mini Plant Making Them:rasp::rasp:

clio 172 cup
does the mini average 10-15mpg when caining it due to the supercharger always being on.
i would get a trophy

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
182 for me, i like the Cooper S but BMW servicing/Labour charges are eye wateringly expensive (not that Renault are cheap) But in this instance it would be the 182.

Was a 197
182 FTW, cheaper, easier to fix, the money u save on the 182 could be put to good use.

The bit about Mini's don't break down. I've seen countless of them broke down either on the hard shoulder or on a tow truck.

But like goes with eerything, if u look after it, it WILL last you.

182 Trophy
182 for sure, mate had a cooper s, spent a bit getting up to works spec 220bhp, and still was only running 14.9's at santa pod, the clio is clearly quicker and more of a car persons car if that makes sence, you see lots of old women and poofs driving cooper s's, just because they dont know what theyre buying so they buy the top spec
everyone i seem to see in a 182 is either a bloke or a young woman

no hairdressers
saying that, i did used to own a cooper because i liked my mates s sooo much, but couldnt get insured on one at the time lmao

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Driven both, lots. The 182 is the better drivers car, no doubt. But the mini is better built. I went for the 182 because it gives better mpg, is faster and handles better. And most blokes look like c**t estate agents driving a mini.

Clio 182 + Recaros
Driven both, lots. The 182 is the better drivers car, no doubt. But the mini is better built. I went for the 182 because it gives better mpg, is faster and handles better. And most blokes look like c**t estate agents driving a mini.

Agree all round

clio trophy No56
does the mini average 10-15mpg when caining it due to the supercharger always being on.
i would get a trophy

+1:D:approve: Trophy.

I dont like the mini, been in 1 and didnt like the interior, it was just a bog standard one, not the works. Exterior doesnt look too bad on some of them, (later models), but then on others they look crap, (earlier models).
Came up against a few in the Trophy and the Trophy is quicker.
On the plus side the engines are solid and if you get a later model, turbo i think, you can always get in remapped, :approve:.
Still it would be the Trophy for me, :approve::D:rasp:.

well going by what you guys have said on here about the fule consumption on the 182 bening 300-330 to a tank i would say the clio is better on fuel than the mini as my mates cooper-s drank like amy winehouse on a good night

as for the cars then i am sorry but the mini wins hands down for build quality and the handling aint too far behind the clio

Trophy #490
I could of sworn that I have heard you say you have a 182 already?

Anyway, if I had to choose between the two, regardless of cost I'd always choose the 182 over a standard Cooper S.

FF 182 w/cup packs
I have a 182 and the mrs has a Cooper S, i love driving them both, the 182 is a bit more raw a slightly quicker than the Mini, but the power delivery in the Mini is great so smooth, a bit more refined, i also prefer the look of the Mini, yeah you get the Gay Car!!! comments off people, but usually from people who haven't driven one. The spec of the mrs Mini is also better than the Clio, 17s, Sun roof, Harman Kardon Stereo, full leather and quad Harge exhaust.
If it was my money, between my 05 reg 182 or her 53 reg Cooper S it would probably be the Mini.
Pics of the Mini (Alloys are now white)
minia.jpg

minib.jpg

Tangoed Works
had both, well not a normal powered s anyway. 182 is faster slightly than a standard s, but the interior and general envrionment inside the mini is wayyyy nicer.

what i liked about my 182 is that you can just bomb about everywhere and it was so much fun. with the mini as it is a wider car, you have to think a bit more, but on the straights my works would just hump my 182. handling is still really good, but the 182 was more predictable.

thing is i am comparing my 182 when i purchased it 6 months old to my mini i purchased 4 years old with 42k on the clock. My 182 felt pants at 53k, the engine was still strong, but the dampers were clearly worn and you used to get mad pitching under braking.

Overall the mini will have more lasting appeal... i didnt get bored of my clio for the first 2 years, but into the 3rd year it got a bit boring as the car just felt cheap and it wasnt worth tuning it as it was already not worth much and tuning it would have meant it would have lost even more value.

once you are happy with your mini, you can just get a 15% reduction pulley, and exhaust and you will be near 180-190 hp and the car will definately feel more alive.

I would say mini for longevity as they have aged a lot better and will last you longer. I wouldnt really contemplate purchasing a 4-5 year old 182 now as they will feel pretty tired.

audi a6 3.0tdi
The Cooper s do handle well and are well built so i'd have one of those but you'll have to pay a lot extra to get the same age as a 182. Another thing is the specs vary so much on the mini that it may take ages to find the spec you want.

My brother works for Mini in Warrington if you go looking there

Black Ph2 172
Clio 182 will eat a Cooper S in a straight line...big difference in straight line perofrmance after 60 mph

Tangoed Works
Clio 182 will eat a Cooper S in a straight line...big difference in straight line perofrmance after 60 mph

would agree with that. when i had my 182, had an encouter with a standard s. it was pretty good up to 80, but after that it was easy to pull away.

if the opposition has a simple pulley change, its laters to the clio.

economy is not that bad imo, i get 130-140 miles urban out of £20. I used to get around 150-160 miles from my 182 with similar usage. i think standard s must be worse as you really have to thrash to get the speed out of it, dont really have to do that with mine.

Mini is the better car, much better build and spec (if you get the right one). Only thing is the 182 is more fun to drive in the twisties - but normal driving is nicer in the mini.

Would only worry about 0-60's if your one of these that likes racing from traffic lights - but then you'd probs want an induction kit and drive with ya fogs on so...

FF 182 w/cup packs

Ha, i love the way people describe a small amount of difference, i would hardly say it would eat the Cooper S, faster yes but eat no!
James had already mentioned it wasn't about speed!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
well well well some very interesting comments there. thanks for the input, im going to test drive them today, do i just need my driving licence?? and do they tend to let yo "put ur foot down"

FF 182 w/cup packs
well well well some very interesting comments there. thanks for the input, im going to test drive them today, do i just need my driving licence?? and do they tend to let yo "put ur foot down"
Yeah you should only need your license, i always give it some when test driving.

Tangoed Works
lol at the gay comments. havent actually seen any gays in minis round in london, and good that foxtons is on the brink of going tits up so less estate agents in minis now.

if i wer u james, get the mini, with aero kit looks much more agressive.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg