ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 performance exhaust

racing blue 182 cup

hi every1!

i am new to this site and just wonderd if someone could help me out! i am looking to buy an aftermarket exhaust for my 182 from the likes of k-tec. i have been told by sue collins (owner of mongoose exhaust) not to bother getting an after market exhaust simply because i will lose power. the reason is that renault have flow tested the standard exhaust and cat to the highest degree and apparantly a more free flowing exhaust doesnt exsist because the standard one is perfect for the car. this is why mongoos dont make an exhaust for the 182 because the flowing would cost to much for very very little gain in power if any.

can anyone help??

tiTTy & SV650

Hayward and Scott are favourites around here, them and ProSpeed

[Edited by rory182 on 31 August 2005 at 6:05pm]

sorry i always forget to say hi and welcome! :oops:

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..you wont get much power from just an aftermarket exhaust anyway, but it will be stainless so it will last (cheaper than replacing with renault oem) and you can get any sound you require, where are you from? as for the testing bit i dont believe it but then i am an unbeliever. as i have a Pro-speed i would recomend them, but there are others, Hayard & Scott etc :oops:

racing blue 182 cup

am not sure whether to believe it or not either. am from north west mate around kendal area. can you tell difference with exhaust or not? i know they dont make hardly any power gain but it all adds up.

Ive got a custom stainless cat back on my 182.

Quality wise compared to the heavy piece of pressed steel the oem exhaust is made of its in a differnent league. I doubt Renault were just considering making the best possible performing exhaust they could but cost considerations were definately high on there agenda.

Anyway IMO stainless exhaust has life time guarantee, sounds a million times better then standard(although mine can get a bit tiresome on the motorway), but as far as I can tell does not increase or decrease performance. I would definately recommend one.

The std system is far from optimum, and you can still get gains.

It just shows how good these exhuast manufacturers are. There is alot that goes into exhaust design and theory, and sadly, most manufacturers dont know the theory and cant implement it in practice.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Ben in your expert opinion who produces the best exhausts regardless of price, excluding yourself of course ;-) lol. Hows the development for the 182 system coming along btw?

IMO, none of the exhausts on offer are anywhere near good. At best they replicate the path of the OE exhaust, use a larger bore and less silencers.

At no point do any of the exhausts have any forward thinking or active effort to solve many of the problems associated with exhaust efficiency.

Ive got a some nice plans for exhausts, details which nobody has even thought of, and some rather funky manifold designs. However, finding the time and the money and the development car to do all this on.....plans in your hear are one thing, making them tangable is another.

But you get better sound and you will never need to replace it.

Im sure your exhausts are going to be far better then the knocked up in half a day custom jobs but I imagine they will cost a fortune. Unfortunately most people can not afford the very best but must reach an affordable compromise.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 01 September 2005

IMO, none of the exhausts on offer are anywhere near good. At best they replicate the path of the OE exhaust, use a larger bore and less silencers.

At no point do any of the exhausts have any forward thinking or active effort to solve many of the problems associated with exhaust efficiency.

Ive got a some nice plans for exhausts, details which nobody has even thought of, and some rather funky manifold designs. However, finding the time and the money and the development car to do all this on.....plans in your hear are one thing, making them tangable is another.
ahem, you have the car .... money well work on ;)

Quote: Originally posted by MarkM on 01 September 2005

But you get better sound and you will never need to replace it.

Im sure your exhausts are going to be far better then the knocked up in half a day custom jobs but I imagine they will cost a fortune. Unfortunately most people can not afford the very best but must reach an affordable compromise.
Certainly.....that is always the case with everything, but we are talking about performance exhausts and how good they are.

But prices wont be that much higher, for the quality youd be getting.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

182_cup - Id be interested in a replacement exhaust too. Not so much in terms of any power/performance gains - just purely from the acoustics alone. Given the nature of the 182 and what it represents within the market, the exhaust note of a standard car is bloody awful. Even the twin pea-shooters on the rear of a Cooper S sound much better in-car than that of a 182.

I believe leeds182 has a custom exhaust on his 182? If youre north-west based (like many of us! ;)) maybe a visit is on the cards?

Not a 182, I know, but Chris n Nics 172 Cup has a very nice exhaust note, imo - loud, but not too loud. Having said that, I still miss my GTs straight-through pipe - loud as fook - 2nd gear over-runs, "pop...p-pop....BANG!" Childish, but great... :cool:

D.

MKIII 138

another thing no one has mentioned the more you spend apart from reliability and durability (obviously a fat sound) is the weight of the thing. i.e ktecs full system for the 182 is 8kgs lighter !!! a worthy saving when you are going for a stripped effect for best power to weight certainly close the weight of a 172/182 steering wheel + airbag. keep that and get a lghter exhaust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben or Yozza can you tell me if you do a lightweight exhaust for the 172MKII i.e like ktecs saving upto 8kgs. or can recommend a lighter exhaust as the last thing you want is a new exhaust which sounds sporty but weighs the car down.

thanks.

Lionel Richie

good point meggerman!!! TBH ive never even weighed our mk2 172 /cup exhausts!!!

ill get on it, itll be lighter, but by how much im unsure