ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 pinking...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've only noticed it in the last week really, having been off work. If I put the car under a bit of strain, say third gear at a relatively slow speed, the engine pinks quite badly. It's never done this before. It sounds like the familiar Clio V6 pink noise, but actually a little harsher, imo.

I thought this maybe down to some shitty petrol, but she's been fed Tesco 99RON for months now - even when the price was stupidly high. I know that there's some stories surround the 'benefits' of Tesco's high octane juice. Is it worth probably running on a few tankfuls of 95 stuff for the next couple of weeks? See if it makes any difference?

It is on the other side of 50k mileage now too. Such pinking wouldn't have any bearing on the cambelt needing to be replaced early, would it?

Cheers,
D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
pinking can be down to timing out, so it hasnt had cambelt done? you checked the plugs to? colour

Haven't checked the plugs actually Tobs - I'll probably take a butchers tomorrow. I remember messing about years ago with my dad's Fiesta and using the strobe light to find the TDC on timing. I guess things have moved on a fair bit these days!

tut tut, tesco fuel = donkey piss.V-power my good man

Could be. It certainly doesn't feel sluggish, like its struggling - just this bloody pinking noise. Maybe I should switch to V-Power instead then? :)

D.

182trophy & Williams
tut tut, tesco fuel = donkey piss.V-power my good man

Could be. It certainly doesn't feel sluggish, like its struggling - just this bloody pinking noise. Maybe I should switch to V-Power instead then? :)

D.[/quote]

I would mate, never had a problem with it myself, give it a good go tho, use it for a month odd. the dynamique used to love a tank o V -power, noticeabley different drive, imo anyway.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Changed the plugs today and have given it £60 in V-Power this last week. Doesn't seem to have made any difference to the pinking noise. It's really noticable at 2k rpm in 3rd gear. Press the throttle just slightly and it stops pinking straight away.

Could it be the timing? Would Reno themselves be best for this?

D.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
u sure its pinking bud? not somthing else metalic vibrating? you really wana get a set of det can on the car to listen for it, cus if you can hear it with ure ear its pinking very bad

182cup & 172 racecar
I thought the knock sensor was supposed to adjust timing constantly to avoid pinking.
I had mine changed and it stopped this

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
u sure its pinking bud? not somthing else metalic vibrating? you really wana get a set of det can on the car to listen for it, cus if you can hear it with ure ear its pinking very bad

I had a thought that it could be something else. I don't actually hear the pink noise with the windows up, but if say I drive past a wall or a row of parked cars with the window down, I can definitely hear it. Like I said - the instant I even dabble the accelerator, it stops.

I thought the knock sensor was supposed to adjust timing constantly to avoid pinking.

Is the knock sensor easy to replace Tony? Have you got any idea of the part number/price?

Cheers guys...

D.

M

mini-valver

Knock sensor is on the front of the block by the oil filter mate. Sure it's not the carbon canister ticking??

ValverInBits

Very first thing i'd try. All this balls about tesco petrol being crap is a load of sh!te. It's basically all the same stuff.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Knock sensor is on the front of the block by the oil filter mate. Sure it's not the carbon canister ticking??

Great. Another easily accessible part. :dapprove: Still, I guess there's not a lot of space to cram a 2litre lump in there. Is it easy to change?

This looks to be the prime suspect now. Hopefully!

Very first thing i'd try. All this balls about tesco petrol being crap is a load of sh!te. It's basically all the same stuff.

Will do! Anyone got a spare knock sensor to hand? :)

Sorry cannot find invoice,was a warrenty issue anyway,but defo solved problem

No worries Tony. Thanks for looking anyway.

whats pinking? and what does it sound like?

Karl, it sounds like a rapid metallic rattling, almost clatter-like noise. It sounds similar to when you're in too high a gear at low speed. My understanding of it is that its usually timing that's to blame, though bad fuel or dodgy spark plugs can be to blame as well.

D.