ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Quarter Mile

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

hope so!

running at pod in feb on rwyb, i got a challenger in the terms of a ctr! whom has run a 14.7

this is war i think

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

i gotta leave rear seats in as his are in, this has to be a natural victory!!

hes a mate, ill never live it down

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Start practising your lauches its down to the driver....Ive seen people run 14.6 in an unmodified 172 and a tweaked 172 run 15.7 so its makes all the difference! Traction control off, its rubbish for drag starts...

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

i was thinking bout this uda day! i was gonna go to a quiet road and practise for ten mins every night

thought i was being sad tho lol!!!! ;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

get yourself a cheap gtech...then at least youll know roughly what your 60ft times are...the better they are the better your 1/4 mile

Nippy white cup

I agree with that...youll improve with every try tho. And I wouldnt bother practicing your launches as the surface is totally different on the strip...

Kick ass m8! ;)

Chris

Clio 200 Cup

You should get the power down much quicker off the line but as said above, the terminal speed could slightly favour the CTR. When I was at pod last time though, I didnt see a CTR get under 15! The main thing is not to judge your starts by revs, go by sound/feel. Just feed the clutch in progressively, a little bit of wheelspin is good. When I took my standard HGT down there I had more problems with wheelspin in 2nd than off the line! Just to show you how much of a difference the start makes, there was another standard HGT down there when I was, his best time was 15.9 @ 91mph, and mine was 15.4 @ 89mph! I like to think ive got my starts nailed now. He even had a higher terminal speed than me but I shaved half a second off his time due to being able to fly off the line. Anyway, with a solid launch in a 182, it would take a quick CTR to pull back the difference within 1/4 of a mile.

My first run in a 172 was a shocking 16+ seconds :( I beat that in the wet later...

Leave t/c off and just get better each time... I was down to mid 15s by the end of the day.

Clio 200 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by 172_4_life on 21 January 2005

My first run in a 172 was a shocking 16+ seconds :( I beat that in the wet later...

Leave t/c off and just get better each time... I was down to mid 15s by the end of the day.
What should a standard 172 run? I know you get good and bad 172s to say the least, but typically? I was hoping it would be better than mid 15s

MERCEDES CLS AMG

ive seen badly driven 172s go through at 19sec - its really down to driver tecnique - ive seen a standard one go through at 14.6 but the driver ( know who u are ) was lucky and i think the clock tower made a mistake ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

your gonna have to make an effort for us mate, although typically dont the CTRs have the edge? guess well have to wait and see.

320d M Sport

my standard 172 ran 14.7, would have gone quicker too i reckon. i never ran slower than 15.1 or 15.2. i wasnt worlds best starter either.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 20 January 2005

in the 14s iirc
Be very impressed if a totally standard one rand 14s out of the box... be low 15s though definate!

This is not stripped or altered from the factory in anyway I mean!

[Edited by Rich-D on 21 January 2005 at 1:10pm]

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by stevoversteer on 21 January 2005

You should get the power down much quicker off the line but as said above, the terminal speed could slightly favour the CTR.

When I was at pod last time though, I didnt see a CTR get under 15!

Anyway, with a solid launch in a 182, it would take a quick CTR to pull back the difference within 1/4 of a mile.
Ive had both a 172 Cup and a CTR, they both ran the same times (14.5 best) but the CTR has a faster terminal speed, 93mph vs 97mph.

Basically the Clio is better off the line, less weight and no need to get into VTEC first, plus the silly short gearing on the CTR (56mph in 2nd) doesnt help. But once into 3rd the CTR can stretch its legs and really comes on form, so closes the gap and they basically cross the line at the same time although the CTR is travelling quicker at this point. If they kept going after the 1/4 mile mark the Civic would be pulling away.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 21 January 2005

That was std versus modded tho ;)
Nope, lightly modded vs lightly modded...

Cup was stripped with a Viper, CTR had a zorst & BMC, with spare out but seats in.

I know yours is faster on terminal.

this will be a good show down maybe we should call all ctr owners down and have a long clio vs ctr day with the winner taking all

Honda S2000

I was meant to be going down with my mate who has a new CTR. He has been on the CTR forum saying that he is going down with me (I have a Cup) and that he is going to beat me by miles! He most probably will though, I crack under pressure!

Quote: Originally posted by quickshift on 21 January 2005

this will be a good show down maybe we should call all ctr owners down and have a long clio vs ctr day with the winner taking all
better get some mk1s on the case then, we dont wanna embarass the club do we ;) lol

Clio 200 Cup

Do a few runs against other people you dont know first, get all the "shaking clutch foot syndrome" out of the way and practise starts and get used to the surface! Then take on the jap!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Aye... get practicing on a nice quiet road somewhere before you get there, so youve already got some idea of how to get the best out of the car.

Practice does make perfect and you will get better.