ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 realistic for 4.5k?

Monaco 172
As per title?

Will I get a half decent one for that sort of money?

Or would a lower mileage 172?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Well for 4.5K i would not expect a clean one, you may pick one up that hasnt had the belts done, therefore youwill need to splash out 500 straight away (going of a 04 car)

Buy a good 172 or 172 cup.

Monaco 172
Thing is, I sooo want the 182 rear end with the twin pipes.

I know you can fit a 182 replica exhaust, but it just wouldnt be the same would it?

Does anybody know what I mean? lol

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
182 exhaust is the ugliest part of the car, also gets lots of unwanted attention

LY 200
Unwanted attention? Like what!? - in years of owning a 182 i cant say iv had unwanted attention because of the rear - the rear imo looks much better with the twin exhaust over the boggo 172!

On topic i doubt you'll get a 182 for that money - me and a pal were looking at them a few week back and all the decent ones (even on 04 plates) were still 6k and upward!

Id either save abit more or get a Cup - actually id get a Cup regardless!

Monaco 172
Theres quite a few 182's near my price range, albeit they have average or slightly higher mileage.

For example...2004 Silver 182 on 50k miles for £4,495.

Hmmmmm

fiesta 1.25
Bargain you can easily get a 182 for 4.5k if you look hard enough but id get a 172 and save the money can be had for £3500

Monaco 172
Yeah I understand what your saying mate.

Is there much difference in real terms out on the road between the 2?

Qashcow
i think the twin exhausts look grim tbh, ive got the stealth exhaust because i dont like them on 172's either

if you want attention, paint your wheels luminous orange and green hah

Personally, id go for the better 172 over a cheaper 182, but at the end of the day its your car/decision :)

LY 200
if you want attention, paint your wheels luminous orange and green hah

Who said anything about wanting attention!? He said he prefered the 'look'! lol

I do agree though, id get the very best car in my price range and that my friend will be a 172 - dont buy and save either, buy the best you can afford, look after it and maintain it and it will do the same to you!

Monaco 172
Yeah I dont want attention, I just want the look.

It will be looked after trust me! Im a mechanic, so it will be getting the best treatment possible.

And im also getting into detailing as a little thing on the side, so itll be clean to hopefully!

Anybody know what the difference is performance wise?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Yeah I dont want attention, I just want the look.

It will be looked after trust me! Im a mechanic, so it will be getting the best treatment possible.

And im also getting into detailing as a little thing on the side, so itll be clean to hopefully!

Anybody know what the difference is performance wise?

On the road NOTHING,

There are good and bad ones though. some feel slower than others.

Monaco 172
Yeah ive been on the trader, I think im going to stick to my guns and get a 182.

Ive been saving a long while, I dont want to be dissapointed and get something im not 100% happy with.

Golf GT TDI
i bought myself a 53 plate 172 and kind of wish i had held out another 7 months for a 182 but am still well chuffed with the 172

I personally don't mind the twin exhaust exits on the 182s but I do prefer the stealth look on the 172s.

If your heart is set on a 182 couldn't you wait a little longer, save abit more money and increase your budget? As previously said you'll be lucky to find a good one for £4.5k but it's not impossible as some people are desperate to sell.

Monaco 172
Jordan, Ive seen all 3 of those and think theyre all pretty good buys?

Or am I wrong?

Thanks by the way mate!

Golf GT TDI
1st one looks best 0 previous owners fsh and both cup packs
2nd one of the best colours also got cup packs
3rd looks to have had paint on front bumper i would say the first is the best if you can strech a few more £££

Monaco 172
Thanks for your help Jordan.

You've pretty much shown me the light.

Think im going to hold out a little and get myself a decent 182.

Thanks for your help people.

Oh, 1 last question, without sound like a chav boy racer, how much difference is there between a 182 and a 197 as Ive only ever been in a RS 197.

Golf GT TDI
thats alright just dont rush into buying the first thing you see. loads and loads come up for 4.5k all the time. just keep your eyes peeled.

and remember if this plastic sticker is missing its had paint ;)

bump.jpg

Golf GT TDI
the one circled. its often sprayed over or if the bumper has been replaced they never replace them its sort of a tell tale sign of paint

GW RS200
Thing is, I sooo want the 182 rear end with the twin pipes.

I know you can fit a 182 replica exhaust, but it just wouldnt be the same would it?

Does anybody know what I mean? lol

I know I would say this having a 172, but I always found double exhausts on a 2 litre car a bit show offy and OTT, it's a small hatchback, not an AMG black! You can't beat the clean stealth of the hidden exhausts :p Having said that every other aspect of the 182 is better I suppose. Hold out or good luck if you find a nice one!

Last edited:
  LY 200
Jordan, Ive seen all 3 of those and think theyre all pretty good buys?

Or am I wrong?

Thanks by the way mate!

Until you go to see them you will never know mate - when i was looking with a mate a few weeks back we were looking at higher priced ones and there were enough of them that were sheds (one was even a 55 plate)!

You can never tell by pictures in sales ads, we looked at one which had a blinding write up on the trader and generally looked clean in the pictures but when we got there there wasnt a spotless panel on the car, every wheel had either scuffs or chunks out of them (literally) and i personally wouldnt have given 4.5k for it let alone the 6 and half (ono) it was up at!

Maybe im just too over the top with what i would class as minty but i really cant see how your gonna get medium milaged 182 with the full cup packs for 4.5k thats even nearly spotless - if im wrong and you do find one, let me know and il eat my own words! :D

RB 182
Where you based? You can have my 182 on 46k for £4.5k. Silver July 2004 reg both Cup packs

BTW, 50k isn't high miles, average is 12k a year so that'll be 60k

Monaco 172
I'm based in north Wales near Chester. I've seen quite a few 182's mainly the ones linked to above and they're almost all in my price range. Obviously until seeing them I can't say wether or not they're any good.

Faxo that sounds interesting but I wouldn't be able to buy until the end of July I'm afraid?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
50k+ Miles isn't high either. If you want a 182 buy one.

A really good 172 for 4k isn't going to make up for a nice 50k+ mile 182 if that's what you want.

Just because they are under 5k doesn't make them bad.

Monaco 172
Thats a really nice motor. Doubt I'll be able to stretch to nearly 5k to be honest as I've got insurance costs to think of. :(

172cup
If you wait until September you can have this one for 4500!

Second owner.
FSH.
Cup pack.
Spoiler pack.
Belts done.
K-tec exhaust.
62k which by September will be 70k.
Very clean.

I ll even through some tools and cleaning products in!

Attachments

• DSC00940.JPG
    DSC00940.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 65