ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - rear anti roll bar?

a thirsty one
have seen that whiteline do a fixed or adjustable rear arb for the 182, i saw one fitted to a trophy yesterday and it looked good but would it make any difference for a road car? positive or negative effects on road conditions?

they are about 115 pound and look like a well made bit of kit, i wouldnt be expecting much difference with one as the clios are pretty stiff as they are but just saw them and wondered as i quite like like the idea and not badly priced.

Lionel Richie
i tested it for Performance Tuner magazine, it makes a difference, but on high speed corners (over 90mph) it had a tendancy to go sideways and on slow speed it had a tendancy to understeer straight on

but this was on a car that hand't been setup to suit the rear ARB

i think with a good setup it'll work well

megan R26.R number 006
i have got a rear anti roll bar i love it on the road it make the clio feal like a big German car so smooth but it makes the car unstable on track unless you use the softest setting then it makes hardly any difference on track

Clio 182
Ive been considering getting a rear arb for a wee bit now. Heard some real good things about them. There was a guy from dunfermline who was trying to sell them on this forum before.

Do a search for whiteline anti roll bars.

Finally, a product that is cheaper in Australia than it is in the UK!

:) The guys love them, I personally think they sit too low to the ground, and stand out like dogs balls.

Lionel Richie
i'll still not 100% convinced by them, the high speed and slow speed characteristics are too wild, but as i said i'll have a muck about with a full setup

Last edited:
  a thirsty one
Fred - when you say sideways on high speed corners and understeer on lower speed was this on track? would these characteristics be displayed on the road?

I may purchase one as all my miles are the usual commute and the odd enthusiastic back road blast so i shouldnt do any harm at the loads i will be experiencing i will give it a go. it may also helps keep things nice and tidy at the rear with all these pot holes and lousey road surfaces we have.

Lionel Richie
this was at Bruntingthorpe, but i got to drive home with it fitted (i try not to drive like a nutter on the road)

I spoke to a guy locally who sets up lots of cars for lots of companies and he said it was probably the best thing I could get for my car. Told me the torsion beam on the back of Clio's is just a way of keeping cost down by not having to fit an arb. I'm tempted but these storys of understeer and instability at high speed worry me.

Lionel Richie
well the torsion beam (not we say beam, NOT BAR) is the rear arb on a clio, so technically you're adding a secondary one

RSC 182 Cup
Ive got a Whiteline sway bar and in combination with camber bolts it makes the car handle awesome. I dont get any major over or understeer on the track. If i push to hard all I get is a bit of a 4 wheel slide so I reakon my setup is really maxing out the grip of the tires.

The clios that I race with dont have the sway bar and they look alot more unstable through the high speed corners, drifting in and out of oversteer. You can see what I mean in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-hkry-z3U

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
One of the guys races his Clio the Australian production car championship, and thinks it works well.

If he does its odd his Clio doesn't appear in the entry lists, the TV coverage or the results as having either finished or DNF'd.

a thirsty one
psyco - when you say sway bar is that what i know as an arb? i know white line also do a front brace, but the design of it and the placing doesnt look like it would make much impact, looking at your spec there is quite a bit of suspension work which may mean your getting better results out of an arb compared to my std set up.

fred - in your opinion did it feel safe for the road? i'm an experinced driver whos done advanced driving qualifications and track days etc am i going to end up in a hedge lol?

cheers

RSC 182 Cup
yeah, swaybar = anti roll bar

I dont know many people who have tried the front brace though. I've heard it can't really do anything due to how the car is designed.

As for other suspension work, I've only got the Cup pack on my 182. Camber bolts at -1.5 deg and the sway bar on soft are the only additions I've made.