ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rear brake caliper i think seized

Clio 197 F1
182 rear brake caliper i think seized

About a week ago on Wednesday started getting a clunking/knocking noise from back left wheel just after braking when going round a roundabout. Anyway pulled over to check wheels were tight etc, Anyway noise got worse the following day so on Friday morning i got a new bearing and when taking the rear wheel off I found to my horror that the disc had two big cracks in it (I guess very dangerous, so i am glad i started to fix the problem so soon after it starting), Anyway got two new disc's with bearing's in them from Renault and a new set of pads fitted them and all is fine buttttttttt I noticed that when i put my hand near the back wheel that had the cracked disc its getting quite hot even the alloy and if i touch the disc it's very hot where by the other side is just warm (its even hotter than the fronts). Took it apart and wound back the piston again just incase i hadnt wound it back enough even though i new i had. Then tested the brake and the caliper is sticking (not releasing) if i apply the handbrake and take it off it looks to be working fine its just the foot brake that is sticking. When i first wound the piston back on this side it was very stiff and the other side wasnt. I guess this is why it may of cracked ie stuck caliper and then over heating.

Is there any tricks for this ie i have read on forum about ajuster bolt rusting and that you can undo caliper and regrease etc, or is this for handbrake seizing?

I can get a new caliper in exchange for my old one for £70 +vat with my friends discount from Renault. I want to sort this out quickly as i dont want another cracked disc and have to fork out for more. They cost me about £110 for disc's and £25 for pad's glad i didnt have to pay the full retail price.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Best bet really . I had a seized rear caliper , the adjuster screw had rusted inside . I stripped it down , sanded the rust off and greased it but it was a ballache of a job tbh . The caliper works fine now .