ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rear quarter panel replacement - Part 1

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So, after a while of procrastination, I bit the bullet and decided to get the offside rear panel sorted. As most will be aware, the crap design of the fuel filler area and the lottery of the cill protection means that rust can be on a sliding scale of pretty much zero to a clump of brown metal filings.

I refer to this as being 'Part 1' as the nearside needs doing also. However, the rear arch was a lot worse for bubbling on the offside and along with the rust-ring surrounding the filler cap, both myself and the body-shop chose that side first.

I approached several body-shops with varying degrees of success. Some didn't even give me a quote after a visit. Some didn't even respond to initial emails. Others wanted me to source and provide my own panel (erm, wut?) and some seemed 'OK' but I just didn't get a vibe off them.

Having looked at some of the work that Bury Autobodies had done online, I got in touch and arranged a viewing for a quote one Saturday morning. Upon turning up, Mark had a long chat with me regarding the 182. I was impressed with his previous knowledge of them as he said he'd owned a couple of 1*2s previously and was aware of the usual suspects of failing bodywork.

I received a preliminary quote a day or so later and agreed to go for it. The first step was a rear quarter panel to be shipped in from France which took about two weeks to arrive. Rob, the other owner of the body shop messaged me to say that the panel had arrived in top condition - no markings or issues with it. All I had to do now was to drop the car off. Despite my confidence in those guys, I could help but feel like I was leaving a kid to be babysat by Jimmy Savile...

Anyways, during the time the was Clio there, I received regular updates of progress, along with photos. I've attached some below in no particular order, but I was genuinely surprised at how relatively good, the cill section was. Given its age and with 170k+ on the clock - I think it weathered the weather and the crap from the British roads, really quite well. The filler cap area however - lol. To be honest, that started bubbling around Year 4 of owning it - so the tin-worm has had another 14 years of chomp-chomping on that area, undisturbed.

The filler cap on mine before work.

1665046793270.png

After a few prods - lol.

1665046823121.png

Bigger (literally) lol.

1665046858889.png

Start of the fabrication work around the filler cap.

1665046891444.png

1665046909000.png

Cill area - not as bad as I thought.

1665046955354.png

1665046973093.png

First section of the rear panel removed.

1665047010598.png

Getting sorted.

1665047046521.png

Cut line.

1665047074929.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
New panel fitment.

1665047151870.png

1665047168684.png

Paint booth.

1665047187992.png

Arch area protection.

1665047209239.png

Door getting painted too.

1665047237376.png

Almost done.

1665047271055.png

Finished article.

1665047288897.png

Overall, I was very happy with the service that Rob and Mark provided. So much so that I won't have any issues going back to them for Part 2 of the refurb - and potentially Part 3 when I get the front-end revamped too!

I've never had such aggressive bodywork carried out on a car before - so it was worrying at first. Thankfully, all turned out good and the 'ol girl continues to bring a smile to my face when I drive it. :)

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That looks excellent, it’ll be like new when you’ve had the other bits done!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
@Darren S looks like they have done a great job, you must be well pleased! How were they on price compared to the other quotes you got? Do they go by BM Autobodies Ltd on Facebook? Do you live in Bury, don't see many Renaultsports when I am back up North visiting family, I am always on the look out :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren S looks like they have done a great job, you must be well pleased! How were they on price compared to the other quotes you got? Do they go by BM Autobodies Ltd on Facebook? Do you live in Bury, don't see many Renaultsports when I am back up North visiting family, I am always on the look out :)

I am really pleased with it - just wish I had enough ££££ set aside to do both sides at once! :)

As for the company name - this is where it gets really confusing!

So, Bury Motor Bodies is the firm I used here. Though technically, they are a few miles north of Bury itself and are closer to me.

BM Autobodies IS located in Bury and I have used them in the past before to good effect. I believe a guy called Karl is still running it?

I don't live in Bury, but I used to live in Birtle - just a little to the north-east of there. Now, I'm in Water which is about a dozen miles or so north of Bury. I must admit, I do see very few RenaultSports around here - regardless of model.

Fantastic work! Something a lot of these will need soon.

How much did this cost out of interest?

I was originally quoted just over £2k - which included VAT and near enough £500 for the panel from France. It did creep up a little by the end for the additional fabrication work involved - but not by much overall.

At least I'll have a pretty accurate figure to go on for the cost of the nearside panel to be done.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks like they've done a cracking job Darren 😊 It sounds a lot of money, but when it means keeping it on the road it's well worth it.
I reckon my 182 has had somewhere heading towards £6k spent on it in the last couple of years 😲 but it's looking better now than it has since i bought it back in 2006.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like they've done a cracking job Darren 😊 It sounds a lot of money, but when it means keeping it on the road it's well worth it.
I reckon my 182 has had somewhere heading towards £6k spent on it in the last couple of years 😲 but it's looking better now than it has since i bought it back in 2006.
I reckon by the time I get the nearside done, I will have paid for the car again from when I got it in 2004!

It's strangely worth it though. Almost like you feel like you have a duty to the car to look after it - lol.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I reckon by the time I get the nearside done, I will have paid for the car again from when I got it in 2004!

It's strangely worth it though. Almost like you feel like you have a duty to the car to look after it - lol.
I totally agree with you 👍 they're well worth spending the money on to keep them on the road.
If I hadn't been the first owner, from new, I might have felt differently though for some strange reason lol

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
New panel fitment.

View attachment 1615097

View attachment 1615098

Paint booth.

View attachment 1615099

Arch area protection.

View attachment 1615100

Door getting painted too.

View attachment 1615101

Almost done.

View attachment 1615104

Finished article.

View attachment 1615105

Overall, I was very happy with the service that Rob and Mark provided. So much so that I won't have any issues going back to them for Part 2 of the refurb - and potentially Part 3 when I get the front-end revamped too!

I've never had such aggressive bodywork carried out on a car before - so it was worrying at first. Thankfully, all turned out good and the 'ol girl continues to bring a smile to my face when I drive it. :)
Hi Darren, my fuel flap area is starting to rust admittedly not as bad as yours, I’ve contacted where you went for an estimate, a few down the line are you still happy with the work they did? Paintwork all match up well, no issues with leaks or anything like that?. Very interested to know your after experience and whether you have had the other side done yet?.

Will.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Darren, my fuel flap area is starting to rust admittedly not as bad as yours, I’ve contacted where you went for an estimate, a few down the line are you still happy with the work they did? Paintwork all match up well, no issues with leaks or anything like that?. Very interested to know your after experience and whether you have had the other side done yet?.

Will.
Hi Will,

Yes, all still good. I'm actually more conscious of the other side that I haven't had done yet. :p In retrospect, I wish I'd saved up a bit more and got both sides done at the same time.

I know I've got a bit of corrosion on the floor pan near the OSF wheel and will probably get that addressed before the NSF rear quarter panel. I'll have no reservations in giving the work back to Dan and Mark when ready.

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Hi Will,

Yes, all still good. I'm actually more conscious of the other side that I haven't had done yet. :p In retrospect, I wish I'd saved up a bit more and got both sides done at the same time.

I know I've got a bit of corrosion on the floor pan near the OSF wheel and will probably get that addressed before the NSF rear quarter panel. I'll have no reservations in giving the work back to Dan and Mark when ready.
Brilliant, thank you for your prompt reply

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Hi Will,

Hi Darren

Do you have any pictures of the fuel flap area now after the work had been completed ? Very interested to see how they finished it.

Will

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Darren, is this repair place now called B M Autobodies on Church Street in Bury?
Hi Dave - no, these guys are Bury Motor Bodies, ironically not actually located in Bury.

Gets confusing! :p