ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Tappet sound when warm

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Hi All

Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I have a clio 182 and it taps (top end tappety sound) when warm, Any thoughts on what it could be and resolving it?, oh and it doesnt change with engine revs

Thanks

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
If it's only when warm like Mike says it's most likely the dephaser. They rattle when the oil thins out and if the oils not changed regularly, they fail. Will sound like a diesel when they're knackered

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Thanks all, I have done a video not sure how to upload on here, but put it on u tube, strangely it sounds like the sound is coming from the battery side of the engine, not sure if you can pick that up on the video though. Id appreciate a opinion, if its dephaser then Birchdown it goes!

http://youtu.be/OOqizTXr-pA

Ph2 172 Track Toy
That sounds exactly like mine. Mine is currently at the dealer for belts and dephaser.

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Thanks, for that

Yeah my lil clio is gonna be raiding my piggy bank... Belts and dephaser it is! fortunately its due the belts shortly, so getting the dephaser at the same time makes sense

Ph2 172 Track Toy
It would be a bitter pill to swallow if you still had 4 years left before belts. The pulley itself is only about £150 but when you factor in belts it gets very pricey.

Clio 182 & Cup Packs
Yeah its not a cheap do, but its the price you pay, I can forgive the car its many faults as its so much fun. I was looking to replace it but with what!? its still a fun car to own, despite its appetite for front tyres and engine mounts.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Well this is my 4th Mk2 RS Clio. I love em. Mines a bit of a heap at the moment but it will be a beauty once again after having some ££££s thrown at it.