ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 - Temperature gauge has a mind of its own

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
The last couple of days, the temperature gauge has been going mental. At normal road speeds (once warm), it sits in the middle of the dial, as it should. At anything above 65+ mph, itis constantly going up and down the dial to virtually reading 'cold', then back up to midway, then down again.Any thoughts?

Might be worth doing a search on the coolant temperature sensor as well, I think there can be problems with the wiring or connection there.

And if you change the thermostat I think I'm right in saying genuine only for the part.

RB 182 (Cup Pack)
Just out of interest, are changing both of these DIY jobs (ie, unplug old one, plug new one in?). I'm totally mechanically inept - every time I attempt to change something myself, I make a major hash of it...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had a problem with mine temperature gauge going haywire when i first bought my 182 new . Turned out it was just a dodgy connection on the coolant temp sensor . You have to take out the airbox to access the sensor , which is easy , then wriggle the wire a bit ( very technical eh lol ) that sorted mine out . With a bit of luck that's what your problem will be too .

Thermostat can be done by unbolting the housing and changing it quickly I believe, you will lose some coolant but you just top up what is lost after.

The coolant sensor is located on the right hand side of the engine sort of below the throttle body I think, That un bolts, obviously you will also lose a small amount of coolant but if your quick, plug the hole or something again you wont lose much.

I wouldn't say they where hard jobs if your good with a spanner but if you don't feel confident enough maybe pay a garage to do the job.

If you search you will find discussions and pictures which might help you decide weather you want to do the job yourself.

Racing Blue Clio 182
The early 182s did have an issue with the coolant temp sensor and wirieing connection there is a modification were you change the sensor and wiring connector