ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Trophy tapping/ticking

Clio Trophy
Just noticed this tapping/ticking sound recently and as far as I can tell it's only when the car's up to temperature. I had the cambelt, aux. belt, dephaser and water pump changed in the last 300 miles or so at SWR in Stirling.
I'll try and get a recording but for the time being-

• Hard to notice, if at all, with the bonnet lifted from the outside or with the windows down. It's much clearer from the inside with the windows up
  • It rises with the revs up to a point (then it's hard to tell if it's still there or not) but it's not all that loud
  • After pulling up and letting the car idle it doesn't immediately make the sound, takes a short while, around 20 seconds say, before it starts doing it.
Hopefully it will be audible enough in a recording but I'm not sure.

clio 172
Mine did this when the manifold to cat gasket was shot .
To be honest i think most make wierd noises at times .

Clio Trophy
The idle is certainly rough enough yet apparently perfectly normal. Cheers for that suggestion though, may well explain why it's harder to hear when listening at the engine bay.

Clio Trophy
Topping up the tyre pressures there I noticed I could hear the sound further back from the engine roughly around the exhaust so could well be this. I'll need to get it in to the garage but hopefully that's all it is.