ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Turbo problems

Evo 8 & 182
Hi,

I have recently bought a 182 K-Tec low boost turbo and the car is great in 1st and 2nd then in 3rd,4th and 5th it seems to fart and is very jerky. Any ideas?? Its boosting fine, its ok in higher gears when it gets to 4000rpm

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
The reality is, it could be a number of things.

Is it a new kit?

Did ktec fit it or was it DIY?

Who mapped it?

What ECU you using?

What rated MAP sensor?

What power?

What boost? And what's controlling it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its likely to be either a spark strength issue or more likely a mapping issue.

Either way, keep driving it like that and you could have problems pretty soon.

Evo 5 RS
From what you're saying sounds like previous owner had the work done? Sounds like a mapping issue, most of the earlier conversions drove like arse

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
As above, your probably using the OE ECU and there's a mapping issue. Whether its the scaling of the map sensor or just a general poor map it's hard to say. I still find it hard to believe people spend all this money on clios and fail to fit some form of basic data logging/monitor to keep an eye on things :dead:

Evo 8 & 182
Hi,

The conversion was done by k-tec, its still on the standard ECU and it boosts to 9psi. I thought it was a mapping issue but wasnt 100%

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Personally I would try knocking the boost down a bit, your symptoms sound just like mine, or failing that don't load it uP to much when you know it's going to happen, I have got used to driving mine like it is now, but I'm currently forging a new engine to go in.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
also whos the best place to take it to for a map im based in the Midlands

Personally I'd go to either tdf or RS tuning in leads, you don't want any tom,dick or Harry trying to map it, I have my mapping done with RS tuning and Paul is great really knows his stuff, you will probably end up with after market management tbh.

Evo 8 & 182
To be honest i was looking at taking it to tractive soloutions, they looked after my 600bhp evo 8 and really know what they are doing

172 turbo 'cup'
9 psi on low boost is your engine forged if not i don't think the piston's will last long on that much boost

Evo 5 RS
To be honest i was looking at taking it to tractive soloutions, they looked after my 600bhp evo 8 and really know what they are doing

Highly doubt they'll be able to or even want to map your car on the OE ECU. Your best bet is Paul at RS Tuning as he's one of the few people who can properly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe. But tinkering with boosted engines from the get-go, to tinkering with N.A engines that are now being force fed are two very different things. :)

D.

I map cars that have been converted from N/A to turbo quite often, I cant really see what difference it makes so long as its been done well, any car you map you are going to ask the compression ratio etc first, so they'll know what to do with it I would have thought if they are half decent mappers.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
It has been running at 9psi since the day it was built. Thought all low boost clio turbos run around 9psi?/QUOTE]

Doesnt mean it should though, I had to change my actuator and messed about trying to set it, was boosting at 9psi and it really didn't like it, reduce the boost to 8psi 0.5bar and see how it drives, as for mapping oe ecu Paul is your man, it's alot of messing around data logging, going away, cOming back trying again, if you went to the place that did your evo it could cost you a fortune, when just backing the boost of a touch would cost nothing.

Clio182Turbo&Clio1.2
I own this car now and I asked ktec racing for a solution and they said the standard ecu can not handle boosted applications. Needed to be changed to a GEN90 ecu as they refused to remap the standard one

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice to hear that ktec have finally stopped trying and failing to use the standard ecu, I always felt they were doing the wrong thing in the first place going down that route tbh.