ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 v’s Golf 2.0 TDI 140

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Justin182 on 15 July 2005

Slightly off topic but dont you just love double de-cluching. Did it when i over took that van and just love it. From 5th to 3rd at 50mph... worked a treat. Only really started doing it in my 182 as i never bothered in my last car as it was a complete sh*t box.
Never tried that before - what do you do, and how does it help?

BMW M3

Well.... i dont think i do it to the book cause apparently you are meant to go in to neutral with clutch and a quick blip of the throttle and then down change with no clutch. All I do is this: Say you doing 50mph in 5th and want to overtake something on an a road. As you would want to get a move on you want to be quite high up in the rev range when you make your manouver. Therefore, make sure nowt is coming, clutch down into 3rd and at the same time tap the accelerater quickly to bring it up to say 4000rpm: when you release the clutch and apply the throttle the engine speed should match that of 3rd gear at that speed and then your off like fu*k. Makes overtaking very fast and avoids any crunching noises caused by leaving the engine to bring it up to 4000rpm or so itself.... Feels pretty nice too...

Justin Thats called Speed shifting and is note advised on your normal road car. i think drag cars use that way of doing it .but its not good on gear boxes.

plus im sure all cars now have a thing called a synchronizer which does the same things a dd clucthing. only used to do it in old cars has they didnt have this synchronizer.

BMW M3

Yeh... i knew it wasnt quite double de-cluching but what harm can it do. The engine seems to like you bringing it up to speed and shifts down very smoothly so cant see a problem. If you let the engine do the work it seems to make horrible noises and throw you forward.... Any thoughts?

When you say drag cars are they the ones that just go really fast forwards and then throw out the parachutes cause i cant see why they would want to downshift....

[Edited by Justin182 on 16 July 2005 at 4:01pm]

nah your correct in thinking its ok because on down cahnges it does make the transition from a high gear to a lower gear very smooth. it cant do any harm if done properly. and sounds like you have got it almost spot on.

BMW M3

bsimmer3000: Yeh... I only use it when downshifting to overtake something quickly on say an A road and the engine seems to apprieciate it... When up shifting i only use the normal procedure: i think there is another way, but like you say is for serious racing cars and not for normal road cars.

Yeh... think i have got it pretty spot on after a bit of practice. The hardest part being your co-ordination and knowing how far to tap the throttle...

MKIII 138

ok heres one more. Again its with the same setup as mentioned on the other vid so its actually quite a bit faster now.

do this.. once you have loaded the mov into quick time click on the toolbar "Movie" then "get movie properties" then a small window will appear with annotations click on this and set to "time". if you look at the actual point at where 30mph starts on the vid at 0.29 and end at 6.29 the 30-70 run is 6secs flat !!! dunno what the 182cup is on a well run in example but i seem to remember it being 6.4/6.2 best.

so what you have with little cash spent is a grp 8 ins 45mpg (only 27mpg if mullering though hehe) car with the potencial to be faster than my 172 for £450 (if you go jabba extreme tuneup and match it with the Ibiza Cupra Intake £30 adds a proven 10bhp on the VRS) is a car that just like the 182 can keep pace with boxsters and wrxs just about only a 5% diffo upto 110.

in fact since the extra mods unlike most diesels it doesnt run out of puff at !00 it keeps pulling to 130+ easy. above 100 it kills a lot of things.

i.e went up against (both two up) a 1.8T 20v Leon that have been "chipped" and had a dump valve + zorst bit of a chav mobile but it could really fookin shift and sounded really nice with the wastegate noise anyways we passes it at !/00 and it was pushing supposed 220hp and it had a 5 car lengh start as we were being safe coming off the roundabout. met up with the chav and his mates in a club about a week later and they were like "awwww m8888 your cars welll fast whats it got"

reply.. "its a 1.9 diesel" and walked off lol :D

http://rapidshare.de/files/3103996/30-upwards.MOV.htmlhttp://rapidshare.de/files/3103996/30-upwards.MOV.html

Well I can comment on this scenario - I own a 172 and have a gt tdi 140 for my company car.

The golfs are really really quick in gear - any gear and pull so hard even in 6th at 100mph

Im not surprised it surprised you! - ive done the same to many unsuspecting owners of hot hatches.

I bet it wasnt chipped - the new 2.0 tdi pd is relativley new and remaps are still under development - if it was and say pushing out 180bhp it would have taken you - no problem.

on the noise front - yeah outside they sound noisey but inside they are smooth as fcuk. Have great seats and handle well considering the heavy iron lump up front.

Another thing is the mpg - you can kick its head in all day long and not get less than 40mpg!!

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 16 July 2005

Well I can comment on this scenario - I own a 172 and have a gt tdi 140 for my company car.

The golfs are really really quick in gear - any gear and pull so hard even in 6th at 100mph

Im not surprised it surprised you! - ive done the same to many unsuspecting owners of hot hatches.

I bet it wasnt chipped - the new 2.0 tdi pd is relativley new and remaps are still under development - if it was and say pushing out 180bhp it would have taken you - no problem.

on the noise front - yeah outside they sound noisey but inside they are smooth as fcuk. Have great seats and handle well considering the heavy iron lump up front.

Another thing is the mpg - you can kick its head in all day long and not get less than 40mpg!!
my bro has the pd130 (actually 140 on rollers stock) and it does 27mpg once remapped but the bonus is there if your willing to drive slower of upto 50mpg.

think people are realising the benefits of diesel - apparentley sales of new diesel cars rose for the 57th week in a row (yawn sorry am being a bit boring)

have you seen the bleedin resale values too - christ they really hold their money. that said id have my 172 any day - torque or no torque you cant beat screaming all the way up to 7.5k rpm

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

My Golf is standard and not much off my old 172 for straight line speed. 166bhp, 247lb and 135mph top speed, my mate has the 130bhp version REVOd to 180bhp, and BMW 330Cis cant get away.

Where they fail is on fun, Golfs are no where near as much fun as 172s or 182s to drive. But then I get 50mpg average on a tank, swings and roundabouts.

Got the Ibiza Cupra diesel as a company car.

Had a couple of goes with the gTECH meter to see what shed do 0-60 and on a very hot day the answer is 6.8 secs, repeatedly. With the ESP off mind, as that utterly bogs it off the line every time.

In a straight up race with mates 172 cup it was totally totally level pegging from 20 to 120 mph, then the cup started to creeeeeeeeeeep past. However, left in 6th gear on the motorway it would leave the cup for dead during our long motorway convoy everytime I flexed my right foot, unless matey was prepared to rape the clio to within an inch of its life everytime I accelerated, regardless of speed. It is however not as much fun, or as nice to thrash.

Should be insane once its remapped!